white thunderbolt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just remember UC it isn't the barrel on the Thunderbolt that was bad... it was the 209 action and even that was a breech plug issue. So if you get a Thunderbolt get a S91/M98 plunger action and you would be GTG.

Batchief909 said:
Don't forget the pack mule to carry it. :roll:
Did they have a 26" barrel? An extra 2 inches doesn't add that much weight... My M98 Elite Hunter .451 is pretty heavy but when stand hunting it is not that big a deal.

I prefer to call Bat's conicals "Fireplugs" in honor of his profession! Now if he was a garbage man I can see calling it a "trashcan".

My T-Bolt has a 26 inch Criterion barrel. With the laminated stock and the T-Bolt action it weighs just short of 9 pounds (actually 8 3/4 pounds). I weighed my Omega with a synthetic stock and it weighs the same. The Omega has a light shotgun scope and the T-Bolt does not but the difference is very small. I don't know why there is so much concern about the weight. I did know about the early 209 problems so when Doc put mine together I bought a 98 action and breechplug as well as the 336 primer system. Not sure which I will finally use. The 336 probably seals better but may be more difficult to prime and deprime as the case has to be removed with some kind of tool. I also have a couple of 97 WTH's so I am not just a T-Bolt guy. The 97 stocks are laminated and feel short to me but I am 5'11" and weigh 160 pounds. I extended one 97 stock 1/2 inch with spacers and a limbsaver pad. The T-Bolt feels better but is a little more barrel heavy. They are all stainless. There were some T-bolts with 24 inch barrels but I do not know how many. It is still too hot to shoot them here yet. We just set a new record for 31 days over 110 degrees for one year.

That heat must be the reason your arms hang to your knees. :wink: I'm just shy of 6'3" and have no trouble with the LOP - but then again I do shove scopes forward as much as possible.

Robbie, I don't recall your being there when I was trying one of the early Tbolts, or when Bob and I were trying redesign the rifle so it would WORK and so nobody got killed by one. I do remember the Rat singing the praises of the wonderful new White without ever laying eyes on one. I remember a lot of BS but apparently forgot the rifle's "strong points". Sure glad you smart guys are around to keep this senile old man straight. :poke:

Yes I guess I do like the longer LOP. My Omega is a full inch or maybe a little more than the Whites and the first time I shot a 100 gr. T-7 with a 348gr. bullet I cut my eyebrow with the scope. Had to push it forward some more. I guess I just love those rifles so much I hug the stocks too much.

I was just about to fire up the lead pot when company pulled in the drive. So I had to be sociable and not ignore them. Other wise I get in trouble. Then they stayed to eat, and finally left (9:35 pm) so I did not get to make any bullets. Hope to cast tomorrow.

Probably a good thing I was not casting. As we were sitting outside in the sun shine, all of a sudden rain drops started falling for about five minutes. That could have got exciting, casting outside like I planned on doing and have it suddenly and without warning.. rain on me.

I did order a new caliper from Harbor Freight and it should be here any day. I will measure a few. As for the sizer, I am going to wait until I measure some, and if I need it, call LEE and order the whole works from them, along with the custom made sizer I want. I am too lazy to sit with a wood dowel and some sand paper and open up a dye.

I also want to cast some to .502 diameter for the Knight and other rifles.. should be an interesting project. I will let you know what they measure out to Bat.

:prayer: Hey a lot of your's and Bob's suggestions got incorporated into a redesign but I don't recall them having to redesign the barrel... :wall: I remember that is how you felt, maybe a little of this to :puke:

Dave,,,get you a .502 and a .504 sizer from Lee. They won't do one in .5025 or .5045,,,so make sure you know what you want. They round their numbers off on their sizing dies. I ordered a .504 and mine size out to .5038, which is close enough.

UCshorts.jpg

Batchief made it out this morning and tried some of the UC Shorts. These are his first 5 shots at 50 yards.

Nawt reely. There have been several hours elapse since you uploaded that target - you just didn't realize because of the Vicodin and drool. :lol:

:roll: :roll: :wink: The bleeding has subsided too...... 8)

The load was 70gr. of Swiss 3F under an unlubed felt wad,,from a White Super 91. The bullet will fly,,,,but further tweakings at longer distances are needed. Either that,,or I just need to recuperate for another couple weeks.... :cry:

Well that sure makes me want to cast some bullets.. I will call LEE tomorrow and order all of that. Since they are out of Wisconsin, it should not take too long for them to ship them. Maybe I could drive to Hartford and stand there until they make the dye for me. What kind of press do I need to use them dies?

Nice shooting there Bat. For five rounds to just make a big hole must have made you a happy camper.. bad nose and all.

How is the nose feeling? Better I hope.

Latest posts

Back