Where do you aim on a deer with inline

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cayuga

Personally, I am going to take the shot - right at the base of the neck. I have the confidence for this shot and i have already made it several times.

Banerbird said:
Depending on how accurate the load/gun is, and how steady you are, I'd go for the head (between the ear and eye or just below the ear for broadside shots... between the eyes for head on shots). No damaged meat and no tracking.

If there 20 to 40yd. an don't know your there, shoot em in the head. Providing you have the confidence with such a shot.

The deer is walking in, straight on to you. Its a real nice shooter buck. But he refuses to turn, and if he does, will probably disappear between trees. In fact, he's twitching his ears, throwing them forward at you, his tail is up and he's starting that foot stomp. You do have a clear view of his brisket/chest. What are you going to do?

Clear view of the brisket??? I'm going to shoot him.

I'm taking the shot as well. Base of the neck as stated previously.

It's strange how many times in the thickets up here I am presented with just this kind of shot. One reason I kind of demand pin point accuracy out to 50 yards. But I too would take the shot, and have. I aim center, base of the neck. Normally the bullet will drop them in their tracks. And I have had the bullet travel all the way through them.

cayuga said:
It's strange how many times in the thickets up here I am presented with just this kind of shot. One reason I kind of demand pin point accuracy out to 50 yards. But I too would take the shot, and have. I aim center, base of the neck. Normally the bullet will drop them in their tracks. And I have had the bullet travel all the way through them.

A reverse "Texas Heart" shot.

k said:
cock,pull trigger,cuss because i forgot to put in primer.not that it ever happened to me :oops: ....karl

did that on a bull elk the on last evening of the season last year !!! :oops: :oops:

sabotloader said:
cayuga

Personally, I am going to take the shot - right at the base of the neck. I have the confidence for this shot and i have already made it several times.

me too!

For the original question I use the high shoulder shot, anchors em and it's not that much meat gone.

For Cayuga's qestion, base of the neck will drop em every time. I've done it a few times and it always drops em.

It always depends on the circumstances. Bow hunting a week a go or a bit less I had a big doe spot me before I started up the tree, after stomping and jumping around she sneaked back up behind a double tree stuck out her head and neck and looked at me. I shot her in the beck where the spine and the carotid arteries run together.
What would you do?

Slam dunk shot. Actually took a doe last week with a bow at 27 yards, nearly facing me. Went in next to the neck, out the opposite ham - dead in 55 yards. Deer aren't put together as well as a bear, for instance. Wouldn't try it on a bear.

cayuga said:
A very good question. Where I hunt, it's important to avoid having the deer run off because of what it 99% of the time runs into. So I break them down, if the deer had any size to it. I do a high shoulder shot, break them down and plant them where they stand. The smaller ones, I will sneak in behind the shoulder as those don't seem to run too far and are light enough to pick up and carry out of the thickets I hunt.

When I was younger, I used to do head shots. I gave up on them. One year in fact a group of us decided to make only head shots on doe. We agreed to this because a person hunting with us, used to get sick when he saw head shot deer. Never seen so many bug eyed, split skull deer that year. Granted, a head shot will plant the deer but I have seen too many deer with missing jaws. People trying head shots and not hitting the center brain. That is why I only use they as a last resort. Spine shots, another good plant. But again, a smaller target then center mass.

If your confident in your shooting ability, and you have a good accurate load, there are lots of planting shots, but deer will fool you and move. So for the most part I go for the high percentage shoulder shots. On the quartering shots, again, behind the shoulder but coming out the off side shoulder.

OK guys, here is the scenario. Your in thick woods but have a clear view to the deer. He is well within your accurate shooting distance you have set for yourself. And your bullet is a real well made bullet, able to penetrate well and expand.

The deer is walking in, straight on to you. Its a real nice shooter buck. But he refuses to turn, and if he does, will probably disappear between trees. In fact, he's twitching his ears, throwing them forward at you, his tail is up and he's starting that foot stomp. You do have a clear view of his brisket/chest. What are you going to do?

I had that exact shot while rifle hunting...Maybe 15 yards. I placed the shot center/low, chest.

The split second it took to recover from the recoil, all I saw in the scope was a bunch of deer legs pointed tword the sky...

That was with my 30/06. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, in 165 grain. The bullet traversed the entire deer, and was in the skin at the rear end, nicely mushroomed...

I would also shoot at the base of the neck. It presents the largest target.

Latest posts

Back