Ramrod

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadwooddan

Reaction score
What seems to be the best alternate ramrod for a hawkens? mine seems preety flimsy and wouldn't want to break it.

dwd, Track of the Wolf has an extensive selection of ready-made ramrods as well as blanks, which you buy fittings for in order to construct your own. If you opt to make one, get the hickory blank, as it is much stronger than the ramin blank. The synthetic ones are OK, but much too floppy for my taste. Also, it helps to soak the blank in a boiled linseed oil and turpentine (50:50) mixture for several months to render it flexible and hence, less prone to splintering.

Linseed oil? were do i find this?

also do i boil the mixture then let it cool and then soak the rod?

dwd, You can find boiled linseed oil in a well-stocked paint department in your favorite hardware store. Sears used to carry it as well.

If you make your own or not be very sure that the ends are pinned to the ramrod. The most sickening feeling is to push a tight patch down the barrel of a closed breech muzzleloader and pull the tip off way down in there. Don't ask how I know this. Lol

make your own

If yu want to try your own hand at making one here is s anice article :http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/rod.htm

A good wood ramrod is fine for field use but I like a solid brass rod for the range. I got mine from RWS and use a wooden ball on the end. With the extra weight and stiffness you can seat even the tightest loads in on motion. Brass is softer than steel so it wont wear the muzzle of you rifle like other materials, especially fiberglass. No matter what you use, get a muzzle guide for the rod to center the rod in the bore and prevent wear to the crown.
Keep in mind that you risk breaking a wooden ramrod and running the resulting point through the palm of your hand if you try to seat a load in one long motion. Use 3 fingers and never grasp the rod more than a few inches above the muzzle as you seat the load in multiple steps.

Latest posts

Back