Accuracy differences

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Mike

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed any real variances in the point of impact when shooting with the ramrod in place on the barrel versus without? I did not at 50 yards. At 100 yds I'm not sure if it's me and the 4x scope with a heavy duplex crosshairs or the ramrod issue.

How much difference did you notice at 100 yards? It doesn't seem to make a difference on my Omega. It does come unlatched after I fire a shot. After I shoot I need to reload or push it back in to latch it.

Vertically it could be 1" to 1 1/2" at 100-125. Our bp range has these distances. But, again who knows if it's me or the ramrod factor. It's too late to iron it out at the range before the 1st season here in Illinois. I sit in a stand so I can just leave it out.
I started to take out the rod because the thimble came loose and I lost the screw. I obtained another and locked it down with locktite and a metal bonding expoy.
The rifle is accurate as far as I'm concerned. I shoot a CVA Optima pro with 100 gr of Blackhorn, a Win 209 primer and Barnes 250 gr. TEZ bullets. The pointed bullet and the expander all have the same point of impact at 100 and 125 yds.

I've heard it makes a diffrence. How much,I don't know? I've allways sighted my gun in with the ramrod in place on the gun,since that is the way I will shoot it hunting. The scope could be the diffrence in your groups at 50,100,yds. A 4X scope with heavy duplex wouldn't be the best for shooting small groups at 100yds. I've allways used a 3X9X40 scope on my muzzeloaders. When hunting in the woods,I use 3 power. If I'm out on the "edge" shooting at longer distances,in a open field,I will use a higher power setting( mostly 9 power) for better shot placement. Ron

I always use a range rod , so my other rod is always in my gun . Better to shoot the same set up as you will be hunting with . IMO . Bot my rods have spin jags ( i really like them ) and are also marked so i am going to the same spot . :D

Just Mike said:
Has anyone noticed any real variances in the point of impact when shooting with the ramrod in place on the barrel versus without? I did not at 50 yards. At 100 yds I'm not sure if it's me and the 4x scope with a heavy duplex crosshairs or the ramrod issue.

If it is 6" out, it's a concern. If it is 1" out, it's a muzzle loader.

I take my rod out of the gun when I hunt because I use a tripod as a rest and the rod clanks a little when I set it in the rest to shoot.
Thats the only reason.
With my shooting it makes no diff.

Latest posts

Back