What would you build?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
What would you build?

Not brand specific, but if you could have get one of todays muzzleloader builders ( Production builders - not custom ) to build and offer a muzzleloader, what would it be? Caliber, twist, barrel length, barrel finish?

My personal view, I'd like to see a .54cal Northwest Trade gun, offered in both flint and percussion, and a 30" smooth bore. Pedersoli I see makes one, but it comes with of course, a pedersoli price.

Now my company would be Traditions, since they are affordable and are willing to listen. I've also taken a look at some of the Leman Trade rifles on here as well as on other places, and with a little tinkering with the butt plate shape and the trigger guard, the Traditions Crockett would be very easy for them to modify and offer a Leman style rifle.

I really need some opinions on what rifle/rifles you'd like to see.

Re: What would you build?

I have almost all the black powder arms I desire. The exception would be a lightweight, fullstock, 28-32" swamped barreled flinter in .54 cal. No company would make this because they couldn't sell enough to make a profit.

However, I don't want it bad enough to pay what it would have to cost.

I'd love to see Lyman intro a line of smaller calibers on smaller frames, along the lines of TC's long lost Shenadoa or Cherokee. I'd be up for 32, 36 and 45 caliber in a gun weighing down around 7# or a little less. I'd even be interested if they held the line on them at current GPR prices, just to get the Lyman quality. Yeah, yeah, yeah....  I already have small caliber rifles. But it would be a Lyman after all! :D

patocazador said:
I have almost all the black powder arms I desire. The exception would be a lightweight, fullstock, 28-32" swamped barreled flinter in .54 cal. No company would make this because they couldn't sell enough to make a profit.

However, I don't want it bad enough to pay what it would have to cost.
I know you have the skills. Why not build it?

"I know you have the skills. Why not build it?"

I have rudimentary skills that possibly could build one IF I had the patience to do it. "Know your limitations", a wise man once said.

Bob, that's all I have is "rudimentary skills" also.  If and when I finish my current builds, I "may" attempt one more (I'll cross that bridge when I come to it) but it will be a Jim Chambers kit "English Gentleman's Sporting Rifle" in .58 cal.  That one has the 31" barrel.  It will be fun to hunt with.
http://www.flintlocks.com/rifles05.htm

FrontierGander said:
My personal view, I'd like to see a .54cal Northwest Trade gun, offered in both flint and percussion, and a 30" smooth bore. Pedersoli I see makes one, but it comes with of course, a pedersoli price.

Now my company would be Traditions, since they are affordable and are willing to listen. I've also taken a look at some of the Leman Trade rifles on here as well as on other places, and with a little tinkering with the butt plate shape and the trigger guard, the Traditions Crockett would be very easy for them to modify and offer a Leman style rifle.
NW Trade Guns would be the easiest one to build, a .24 gauge (.54 cal.) is a good choice, have had several of them over the years. Stoked up they will whistle, but remember these are very light guns - 4.7lb. to 5.0lb. guns so they will bark you.  That's not a big deal, never have felt recoil when shooting game (to much excitement ?). There are several suppliers that have kits at reasonable prices (joke - nothing is priced reasonable anymore).

The Leman Trade/Indian rifles are more challenging needing more skills than the above but still doable. Same caliber these guns whether full or half stock will be in the 8.5lb to 9.0lb. gun. The full stock compared to the half stock with under rib almost equal each other weight wise.  Again there are several suppliers that have kits at reasonable prices. But still double the Traditions offering.

The Traditions Crockett rifle would need work on the butt part of the stock (top is curved compared to a flat surface on the Leman).

H.E. Leman's had poured nose caps without entry pipe on his Trade Rifle. I say that but we couldn't get a half stock (back ordered) to complete the first build we produced, only full stocks were available so Carl Walker cut down a full stock (problem full stock was inletted for an entry pipe). To assemble it was decided to use the entry pipe with a poured nose cap, came out great but no known originals.

img3.jpg
Should read future, don't try and do anything when its late and your tired ....

Back