What makes a gun "smokeless"

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rangeball

Reaction score
Wondering something again and new you were the guys to ask.

I know the answer for some in-line designs, but if break open ML is built on a hardened receiver (same as their centerfires) and the barrel is chromoly or stainless and the breech plug contains the pressure (like the replacement .25 acp breech plugs from pr), why wouldn't a ML such as the H&R Huntsman be able to use smokeless powders?

I don't have one, but have been looking at them, and am now officially going "hmmm.... "

Oh, and everyone have a great Thanksgiving! And thanks for all the advice and sharing that goes on here, and putting up with my questions :)

Heat treated barrles There is also different grades of stainless. I think it was HIGHTECHREDNECK that saw a guy blow up his encore.

Joe Name said:
Heat treated barrles There is also different grades of stainless. I think it was HIGHTECHREDNECK that saw a guy blow up his encore.
One thing's for certain, I possibly owe my life to the quality of steel in the Douglas barrels JoeN uses. And his breechplug!

I think this is probably a question as more than an answer, but doesn't SMI do barrels for the H & R or am I did I just really read it wrong?

rjhans53 said:
I think this is probably a question as more than an answer, but doesn't SMI do barrels for the H & R or am I did I just really read it wrong?
Yes. And other guns.

Joe Name said:

Yeah it was me. The bad thing is that it was my fault that the guy did it. Luckily he was not injured. He said that his stainless Encore would handle as much as a Savage, and I was stupid enough to let him try and prove it. When we got into loads that were blowning sabots in both rifles the Encore didn't last long.

I do not remember what the powder charge was up to but it was a fairly hot charge of 4227 behind a 240 grain XTP mag.

Latest posts

Back