Thor bullet sample

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
Got a Thor bullet sample in the mail today. It came with .500 .501 .502 and .503" bullets. These look like really nice bullets! I loaded the .500 bullet into my cva mountain stalker and it took a bit of grunting to get it down. I loaded up 90gr 3f goex and will test this bullet @ 20 yards into my sand trap and see how it does. My guess, it will perform just like the barnes bullet.

:evil: that sucked, i shot into cement like sand (HARD!) and the bullet went in and out. It blew half of this in half and left me with a big chunk of cement sand :lol:
Bullet in my cva mountain stalker,
250grThor001.jpg

May have something here!!,
250grThor002.jpg

Left over block of sand after bullet went through the center and blew the other half into chunks.
250grThor003.jpg

Im going to Attempt the .501 down this bore even if that means beating it down just so i can try another shot.

not a cheap bullet. Should cost less considering they have no sabot with them :nono: :nono:

The best bullets don't need sabots. 8)

Knights shoot conicals extremely well. You just have to match the bullet to the barrel and rate of twist. Conicals were always the bullet of choice with the Knight Rifle Team during the manufacturer's shoot at Friendship.

Knight,,White,,CVA,,Traditions,,,it don't matter. Slug your bore and order some pure lead conicals to fit.

TCs won't shoot conicals worth a crap due to the QLA. I've tried it 3 times with 3 different rifles. It ain't happenin' 8)

frontier gander said:
:evil: that sucked, i shot into cement like sand (HARD!) and the bullet went in and out. It blew half of this in half and left me with a big chunk of cement sand :lol:

Im going to Attempt the .501 down this bore even if that means beating it down just so i can try another shot.

Were you able to recover the bullet?

You mentioned a back stop before. get out your metal detector and find that bullet for us to see. Please!!! Lee

No i was not able to recover the bullet, It left a 4" hole in the back of my plastic bucket on its way out.

I just shot this one with the .501 ( i had to hammer it down) and shot into a seasoned 9" cedar log at 5 yards. Used 90gr 3f goex and the bullet went straight through and gave me the middle finger as the bullet went on out the otherside :lol:

I've never had so much trouble catching a bullet before!

Whoops, be good if i actually labeled the pics correctly.
Exit,
250grThor004.jpg

Internal,
250grThor006.jpg

Entrance,
250grThor005.jpg

Im going to see about getting some of these so i can try them out more. They seem to be excellent just from the 2 bullets ive shot. I will not dare shoot the .502 or .503 in this rifle as it will be waaaaay to tight.

Lee, I will go out and search for the bullets but i dont think i will have any luck finding them.

Armor piercing? Can you tell how much they opened in the log? Lee

well on the exit side the hole was around 3/4" + I looked all over the place for the first bullet but can not find it anywhere. Its storming now so maybe t he rain will wash some sand away and it will show up.

Andy, Email Thor bullets and ask for their sample pack. It comes in 4 sizes, start with the smallest. My rifle has a .501" bore but it took the .500 thor and loads very firmly.

Another thing i noticed while loading. I used a concave bullet starter and as i was pushing that tight .501" down the bore, The plastic insert went into the Hollow point. This tells me that when it hits bone it will do the same thing and allow the bullet to expand.

I am going to look into making a souped up bullet trap tomorrow so i can stop these. Im thinking around a 24" long sand trap box will do.

Sounds like a typical Barnes to me. Powerful and accurate. I think I will try these out also...

SWThomas said:
Sounds like a typical Barnes to me. Powerful and accurate. I think I will try these out also...

me too, just emailed them about the sample pack but i noticed that on the products listing page they have the different sizes and each one is labeled for different guns.

OptimaAndy said:
SWThomas said:

me too, just emailed them about the sample pack but i noticed that on the products listing page they have the different sizes and each one is labeled for different guns.

I think that is their guess-timate based on manufacturers bore specifications.

Hard if not impossible to draw meaningful conclusions from 2 shots.
I don't need power that pecils thru - I want expansion.

Will be interesting to see what it really does - both in accuracy and expansion.

Steve

SteveB said:

Will be interesting to see what it really does - both in accuracy and expansion.

Steve

Dude......stay at home. 8) :wink:

This was just the sample pack Steve. I figured if im going to shoot them i may as well test penetration while im at it. Im pretty impressed though with that i saw today as far as penetration. I dont think i'd be able to reload on a fouled bore, but again that may change once i get some bullets in stock and start shooting. May have enough time to run them in the Accura and test them in new mexico this late september.

SteveB said:

Steve

If Barnes makes them, you can rest assured they will expand just fine.

SWThomas said:
SteveB said:

Steve

If Barnes makes them, you can rest assured they will expand just fine.

At what velocities and distances?
Bone, no bone, lung only, etc?
I thought proformance on kills was the only true test - at least to some.
And if that is one's benchmark being used, you need 100's if not 1000's of shots to cover all variables to have true statistical meaning.

I'm with Bat - I know what bore size solid lead conical will do (90% of my shooting and hunting) - at 1/4 the cost. History of 1000's and 1000's of shots.

Regardless of the manufaturer, a new product needs to prove itself and set its limitations - especially a very expensive one. There isn't a manufacturer of anything that has not produced something less the stellar, regardless of their reputation and past proformance.

At this point, the Thor could be either. It probabably is a good bullet. I would hope so at that price. But its to early to know for sure.

Steve

Back