What have I done?!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On a lark, I took my Renegade flintlock out today, to see how she might do with my FAVORITE load of all time, as it did SO well in the Hawken. And Thunderhawk. And Firehawk. And Black Diamond...
Now she has bore issues. No wretched uglies, but I could feel a bit of roughness and uneveness when ramming.
She's sighted 2 1/2 inches high at 50, with my ball load.
First shot smack dead center. Right on top of the blade. Number 2 cut it. 3rd was down about a half inch. Group size was 3/4 inch. Second group was 7/8ths and the last 4 went into an inch and five eights! 3 of those were 1 3/16ths!
All 10 shots measured 2 1/16th.
I'm equally thrilled that I've made such progress with the flintlock!
I'm beginning to regard sabots, especially Harvester crush ribs, as miraculous things! In spite of the bore issues, no plastic fouling!
So. I have 4 rifles, and 5 barrels, that love this load. I do not mind such a lack of diversity here! My Firehawk will handle a greater variety of bullets due to its 1-38 twist, but I don't feel at all handicapped by the 250 grain 45 caliber XTP being the limit in these 1-48 barrels.
Be they cloth or plastic, MIGHTY is the sub caliber adapter!

Attachments

• 15820905728481454856145.jpg
    15820905728481454856145.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 13
What load? Sounds like you were shooting sabots. Are you certain there’s no plastic fouling? That would seem odd to me that the groups got worse as you went along and the barrel rough, unless you weren’t giving quite enough cool down time between shots. Others a lot more knowledable than me on here to help. Those few questions just come to mind. If the barrel was fine when you started, it would seem there has to be something left behind by the load that created the rough spots. How far down in the bore?

The load is a 250 grain .45 caliber Hornady XTP in a Harvester crush rib sabot, over 70 grains if 3f Swiss Holy Black.
When I rescued this one, she patched orange, and had a rather uneven bore ( judging from the way she rammed) and one large pit an some more minor pitting towards the breech.
I used LOTS of JB and elbow grease to try to smooth things up and even her out. This was slightly successful. About 200 patched balls helped, but she still occasionally shreds patches.
I don't do my best work with a flinter. But I have to say I've improved considerably as the results I got yesterday rival those of my percussion Hawken with the same load.
I see no plastic down bore and none shows on a patch. Recovered sabots look pretty decent too. I swab between shot with rubbing alcohol. This dries the bore considerably and if there's any issues you will notice it immediately.
As far as the larger last group. The 2 low shots were due to a bit too much 4f in the pan. She slows a bit when that happens and its " smile for the camera" time!
Barrel heat is a non issue. Between the modest nature of the charge and the evaporative effect of the rubbing alcohol, things stay pretty cool.
Overall, I have to say I'm well pleased with this rifle and load. This is a load that has legs compared to a ball. Zeroed plus 2 1/2 at 50 is dead on at 100, down 8 at 150 and 24 at 200.

The load is a 250 grain .45 caliber Hornady XTP in a Harvester crush rib sabot, over 70 grains if 3f Swiss Holy Black.
When I rescued this one, she patched orange, and had a rather uneven bore ( judging from the way she rammed) and one large pit an some more minor pitting towards the breech.
I used LOTS of JB and elbow grease to try to smooth things up and even her out. This was slightly successful. About 200 patched balls helped, but she still occasionally shreds patches.
I don't do my best work with a flinter. But I have to say I've improved considerably as the results I got yesterday rival those of my percussion Hawken with the same load.
I see no plastic down bore and none shows on a patch. Recovered sabots look pretty decent too. I swab between shot with rubbing alcohol. This dries the bore considerably and if there's any issues you will notice it immediately.
As far as the larger last group. The 2 low shots were due to a bit too much 4f in the pan. She slows a bit when that happens and its " smile for the camera" time!
Barrel heat is a non issue. Between the modest nature of the charge and the evaporative effect of the rubbing alcohol, things stay pretty cool.
Overall, I have to say I'm well pleased with this rifle and load. This is a load that has legs compared to a ball. Zeroed plus 2 1/2 at 50 is dead on at 100, down 8 at 150 and 24 at 200.
Try ultra fine white scotch brite in those rough spots but just a little bit . Does wonders but dont get carried away with it . This stuff Cuts rather quickly !!! But it Will help those areas wraped around a bore brush . Just be Easy !!! Personally i LOVE this stuff , just be carefull with it . The steel in most mz barrels isnt very hard at all and agressive use Will get a bore loose in a hurry , smooth but Loose !!!
Body shop supply places are the best bet to find it . Gotta be the "white" scotchbrite -- No -Other !!!!!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back