Wax, grease, or oil?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Becareful with WD-40, be sure you wipe it out good, don't let it get into the ignition system (flash hole or nipples). Years ago the when WD-40 was first introduced (remember it in 1954 came out the year before) some of the police departments had issues with WD-40 neutralizing primers in their service weapons (to make an acidic or alkaline substance chemically neutral).
Neighbor bought a brand new Rem 1100, had no experience, and asked me how to clean and store it. Against my adament urgings, he spraed it down with WD-40 and put it in the closet after dove season. 4 months later he pulled out a rusted piece of junk. Surface rust, pitting, etc. Ruined a beautiful shotgun.

WD-40 is good for temporary lube and removing decals from car bumpers and that's about it!

What do y’all use to put on yalls rifles to prevent rust and a general protection? I have heard of different recipes that the old guys used. I have always used a type of oil but would like to try something else. What do y’all use and who you use it? Thanks. <>< del
As posted someplace before, I like to be as close to GGG grandpaws way, at least with my contemporary long guns and a few of my BP pistols. I still use a mixture of beeswax, bear oil, and sweet oil. percentage of wax depends on temperature to be used in, and less wax for use on patch material. Used it successfully for over 30 years on all my metal, wood, and leather (which it does a good job of water proofing. A few months ago a friend found a few old cans of whale oil in an old store he was tearing down, hmmmm. just Just my way, your milage may vary........

UM YES I careless about personal choices of preserving your firearm. AS LONG AS IT IS DONE! I careless if ya rub yourself down in crunchy peanut butter chanting old sea tunes while talking to aliens, as you rub your rifles and pistols down with moose milk/bees wax and oil JUST AS LONG AS IT IS DONE. But alas I judge on it being done, not ritual or process or what was used. Provided it is done. I use anti seize on threads, when cleaning. Each and every one has a different process, style. Over all I say JUST DO IT. Better for the gun, Better for user and helps with resale value also.

Not PC, but I really like Barricade. It does extremely well in rust tests but my favorite thing about it is it dries and just leaves a protective film. If I accidently apply too much to the bore, well after a couple days it has dried and I don't need to keep the rifle stored bore down if I don't want to.
It also can be left in and doesn't have to be stripped out before loading and shooting, no sticky mess when fouling is introduced. I still do strip it out when just going to the range, but it's nice to leave it in when loading up for hunting and still having bore protection.
Another vote for barricade.

I've used Frontier's lube on patches when out hunting, and it does a nice job. I'll stay with it for hunting purposes, but after cleaning a gun, I've always used plain old Bore Butter with no problems. I coat the boar, nipple treads, and wipe the entire exterior with it. Never have had a problem after many years using it.

I've used Frontier's lube on patches when out hunting, and it does a nice job. I'll stay with it for hunting purposes, but after cleaning a gun, I've always used plain old Bore Butter with no problems. I coat the boar, nipple treads, and wipe the entire exterior with it. Never have had a problem after many years using it.
Bore Butter for storage is great, after hunting, or target shooting YUP I do the same, small difference I prefer anti-seize on nipples/cones and breech plug threads. In-Laws call me a weirdo BP rodding days while in storage, rod them bore brush, mop/swab bore butter apply anti-seize before returning nipples/cones or breech plugs, but eh more for rust prevention than a "Seasoning" if taking out to shoot bore butter out.

A 25/75% mix of Ballistol to water, followed by Hoppes #9 patches.
The nipples get wrapped in plumber's tape after cleaning.
Next day, if no gremlins on the patch, she gets good gun oil patch. Gets check again at least once a week.
Unless she gets dirty again.

What about a long term storage ? The twenty year old CVA optima I was given/loaned is going to be returned when I get my patriot. When I got it it had been loaded for probably ten years without a primer with a huge crud ring and I got it cleaned up and shooting pretty good . It may be another 10 years before someone shoots it again. And I want to make sure the barrel is protected . He will be putting it in a gun safe .

So what should I use to give the gun and barrel maximum long term protection for storage?

What about a long term storage ? The twenty year old CVA optima I was given/loaned is going to be returned when I get my patriot. When I got it it had been loaded for probably ten years without a primer with a huge crud ring and I got it cleaned up and shooting pretty good . It may be another 10 years before someone shoots it again. And I want to make sure the barrel is protected . He will be putting it in a gun safe .

So what should I use to give the gun and barrel maximum long term protection for storage?
For long term storage I use bore butter, of course there is the 30 day wipe clean reapply. Long term storage well cosmoline but I do not like torturing the fire arm OR the next user

Latest posts

Back