Warning do not buy at Gander Mountain

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tazx100

Reaction score
I just wanted to possibly keep someone else out of my situation. I purchased a scope from Gander Mountain and the elevation would not adjust. I spent approx 700.00 with them and found out that if you mount a scope and you have issues with it they will not provide replacement. This occured one day after purchase and muzzleloading season kicks off here in 2 weeks. :oops:

tazx100 welcome to the forum. Its good to have you here.

Are you saying that if someone other then a gunsmith mounts a scope purchased from Gander Mountain, they do not take them back? Have you tried contacting the company?

First off welcome to the forums.

Some places make you deal with the manufacturer as they are the ones that warranty the merchandise. I kind of find it hard to feel sorry for someone that waits to the last minute to change the setup. :roll:

I have contacted the corporate folks and was told they have a 30 day return and he would have the store manager call me, didnt get the call so I called the store and got the same answer. IF THE SCOPE IS MOUNTED IT HAS NO STORE RETURN ALLOWED>. THis is fine is they would have told me that on the front end of the transaction, I did ask the clerk at time of purchase and was told it could be returned in a 30 day time frame. When adjusting the scope it adjusted fine the first two adjustments on the third adjustment it would not adjust on the fourth it would not adjust on the fifth it jumped about 4 inches. I grouped the gun when it stopped moving and it was not me.

THanks for the welcome nice to meet you cayuga. AJ im not looking for any pity and Im not trying to change the set up. I just want a working scope and to be told of the policy at purchase so I know where I stand

Just a comment...I have had a couple of experiences where scopes would not adjust for elevation if one of the scope rings was located immediately adjacent to the adjustment turret. Apparently the scope was torqued or bent a bit because the rings were not in perfect alignment and the elevation adjustment froze. Actually the reticle would move a bit in one direction and stick, and was unable to move in either direction after that. When I moved the scope forward or back a bit to allow some clearance between rings and turret, all was well. This happened a month ago with a Weaver Grand Slam scope in Warne rings on a Knight KRB.

So, if by chance a ring is too close to the adjustment turret, there may be hope for the scope, so to speak.

Thanks thats a new one for me Ill remember that one for sure. I have 1/2 inch from the back of the front ring to the adjustment turrett and about 1 inch from the front of the back ring to the adjustment turrett. In your experience is that enough.

The clearance you describe should be enough. You can make sure by taking the scope out of the rings and setting it on a firm surface so that it can't move. You might want to have someone hold it on a table or put it in "V" blocks cut from a cardboard box. While looking through the scope at a distant object, turn the elevation and/or windage dials. If the scope is working properly, you will see the crosshairs "walk" across the object. If they don't move, the scope is defective.

I have done before on other scopes, my concern with messing with the scope any further is it is set at 65 yards about an inch high and it is holding a great group. I have it set at 80 grains and a 240 grain xtp. I like to start low on the powder and move up slowly to 100 grains. I am afraid if i start turning on it and it is broke it will jump. If We werent on a tight budget Id max it out stop to stop and buy another scope if it truned out it was broke. It could be that the crosshairs were rubbing and it broke loose or there could be a spring issue. I have been bumping the scope with my hands to see if it will move and it hasnt and ive shot about 30 rounds through it and it is holding about a dime size group. I can get by with this till muzzle loading is over then send it back to bushnell who has been great with their customer service.

Thanks for your advice
Rickey

Dropping $700 on just the scope & rings? If you did, you got a "good" scope and should be able to get the manufacturer to do something if Gander won't. I like Cabelas the best.

What kind of scope?

I had a Bushnell from Bass Pro and shot 20 or so rounds thru my ML and returned it - - the point of aim changed after the first shot every time I made an adjustment...

Put a Leupold on there from a rifle I have and had no problems with the scope.

what's the brand name? its not unusual for a dealer to refuse to accept returns on already-mounted scopes. on the other hand, most (if not all) manufacturers repair a defective scope. i know from experience that leupold fixes their scopes for no charge, even when its your fault that the scope is boogered up.

Latest posts

Back