Want to see muzzleloading thrive?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave951

Reaction score
Get involved with kids. You guys out there who enjoy muzzleloading are the very people who will help the new folks find out just how much fun this can be but it won't happen if you don't get involved. A small group of us decided to work with kids and the largest youth org around far and away is Scouting. We've been active for about 5 years now and in 2 camps in NC- Raven Knob and Bud Schiele. We are NRA certified instructors and we bring guns and ammo with us. Many camps are strapped for both resources and personnel and that's where those of us in the muzzleloading community can make a difference. Yes, it takes time. Yes, it can be hard work. Absolutely, it's rewarding.

crk3.jpg

crk6222022c.jpg

IMG_7282.JPG

Good concept try and get the kids interested in it. We will have to get creative in urban areas though. Rural areas should be a no brainer.

We chose Scout camps for a reason. First- it's probably the largest youth org in the world. Second- they have summer camps with ranges and that takes out the urban issue. We've seen kids from many big cities and they always have a ball. Third- complacency on the part of the average person will lead to the decline in muzzleloading. Current adults need to get involved in some capacity. Not everyone can teach, but everyone has something to contribute.

We're at about 6yrs in with our take on muzzleloading in a youth camp and have worked with probably close to 1500 kids. In the past, many camps have a marginally "trained" instructor who knows almost nothing more than what's necessary to load and shoot. Past that, they're as new to this as the kids. Our idea is to recruit active muzzleloading enthusiasts to this activity so they'll bring knowledge, passion, and fun. Having that type instructor working the range is infectious and the kids will never forget how much fun it was.

Thanks for getting kids involved in something out-of-doors! I work a lot with fishing organizations and getting kids involved. If the gun club I am a member of decided to do a muzzleloader day, I'd be on that in a heart beat.

Thanks for getting kids involved in something out-of-doors! I work a lot with fishing organizations and getting kids involved. If the gun club I am a member of decided to do a muzzleloader day, I'd be on that in a heart beat.
What's to stop you from organizing it? Get with others in your club of like mind and make it happen! That's kinda what we did and have been working to keep it going.

Some more pix from this summer. We've been working in two camps and the kids have been having a ball.

Vinny demonstrating his Ferguson and yes, we shot it live for the kids. Note "Teddy" in the background on the left. It's good to see some kids know their history enough to remark on how much he resembles TR.
IMG_0872.jpg

We dress sorta period to add to the ambiance. On the left is "Teddy" in period USMC uniform. I'm on the right in a balmoral and period shirt.
355854912_666165805540736_3789539485153048982_n.jpg

Traffic jam around the loading table. We were doing patch round ball at this time. A bit later, we switched to minies in the 50cal guns and after lunch switched to Civil War muskets and minies.
IMG_0873.jpg

Here's Flintlock Bob demonstrating a flintlock handgun. Again, period attire adds to the experience for the kids. "Get off me bloody ship!!"
362243970_3118778031760118_5981797662766258065_n.jpg

And the final thing we do is Civil War style volley fire with the muskets. The kids all love this part.
IMG_0920.jpg

Latest posts

Back