Wads.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what, I already get great accuracy from just a PRB.
If you are getting the accuracy you want, then stick with your patched round ball. Sometimes, some guns will have their accuracy improved with the wad over the powder charge. It could be the breech area of the gun is eroded or enlarged such that powder gases blow by the patched ball thus affecting the accuracy. As I stated in an earlier post, one of my heirloom guns has an eroded breech area from a powder charge that was left in it for over 50 years. Initial shots with a patched round ball threw the balls all over the target at 25 yards and I could not find a spent patch. Putting a 1/4" felt wad over the powder got the patched ball above the eroded area and accuracy improved to 1.5" at 25 yards and recovered patches were in good enough shape to re-use if I wanted to.

Guys, to each his own. Whatever works for you ....use it. If you want to try what works from others.....your choice. Just because something works for you doesn't mean everyone else has to do it. These are all suggestions, opinions, etc. We all know that no 2 muzzleloaders shoot alike. Stay happy.

It's only a 30 minute job, or less, to polish the sharpness out of a rifle crown; and that's all that's usually needed. If the crown is damaged then it's a job for more serious work.

Yes, wads should be at least bore diameter or a bit larger. Of course this doesn't apply to wads of hornet nest, paper, etc. I've had noticeable benefits from using wads in some rifles while others exhibit no difference wad or no wad. But I've never experienced ANY unwanted effects from using wads. The most common result from using wads that I've noticed is more uniform velocities and smaller extreme spread.

I found out that they are a definite help if your rifle is loaded for several days while hunting, to prevent lube seepage into the powder. Some lubes do this, some don't.
Squint

Latest posts

Back