.....Tell Me....(with Range Pics)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinks

Reaction score
Am I being to picky!? I just got a new BP measure yesterday, so today I was testing to see how consistent I could be with it, I set it at 100grn, then weighed a few charges just to see, these are some numbers I came up with.....

1- 73.4
2- 72.8
3- 72.5
4- 72.6
5- 72.9
6- 72.6
7- 71.9
8- 73.5
9- 72.7
10- 73.0

how much would the differences in each charge affect each shoot? Should I just load the BP measure and shoot? The average weight for these 10 charges is 72.8grn by weight, I made up 3 shoots to try tomorrow. Tell me, am I being to picky!!?? Let me know, I can take constructive criticism, or pretty much any criticism for that matter, thanks, for any info!!

Perry

you have a good eye and technique.. those are good numbers and probably should not make a big difference in accuracy. If you really want to know, measure out five charges to be exact, and then pour five. Shoot two groups, same bullet, same technique and report back to us. I will guess that out to 100 yards you will not hardly notice the difference if any.

pinks,

What powder are you measuring? Pyrodex? Those numbers are just about right for Pyrodex. If it is 777, I would say your measure is a little on the light side. If it is BH209, I would say your measure is on the heavy side.

No matter what powder, those numbers are not bad. You might be able to tighten them up a tad if you tap and settle in the measure before cutting the powder off the top.

Like cayuga said, you probably will not see much difference out to 100 yards. You have an extreme spread of 1.6 grains, right around 1.0 grains ES is about as good as it gets IME.

Well, got out to the range this morning, only had 9 shots left. Used 3 to get on paper(put a scope on this weekend) then shot 3 shots with 100grn Pyrodex weighted charges(72.8 by weight) @ 100yrds

IMG_4068.jpg

Then 3 shots measured at 100grn of Pyrodex with the BP measure @ 100yrds

IMG_4069.jpg

Now I know with only 3 shots each, its not going to tell the full story, but with these shots, there isn't a big difference in weighing or just measure and shoot. Thinking I might just skip the weighing and just measure and load!! :wink: What do you guys think!!??

PS: The updated version of the new 209 Tracker!! Had a 4x32 Niko Sterling sitting on my 22lr, thought I'd put it to work at a different level!!

IMG_4070.jpg

Perry

It looks real nice. And appears it is a good shooter. So you should be all set.

Back