Vari flame coffee substitute

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishinguns

Reaction score
Going through pre range ritual priming discs and decided to give variflames another try. They have not performed as expected not working in knight and about 20% no fires in ruger w/209. After punching out about 5 of spent primers the sixth one had been dented by fireing pin but did not detonate and not knowing this I had placed remover tool on primer vent hole and started to push rifle primer out when it ignited and fired the primer cap into the table top about 1/8 inch and rattled my ears and nerves . Don't think I will recomend that system as that was an eye opener. Can't find primer cap anywhere but it didn't hit me so all is well. Good luck if you try variflames as for me it's back to 209a's only.

Try the Winchester Triple Seven 209's they are the best I have used to date. Three of my four muzzleloaders have #11 ignition, not sure how much longer I am going to stay with the 209's....

I am using federal 209a's because they suposedly have a little less pop when they ignite but I can't say for sure whether that makes any differance. The sales pitch was less flyers but I had given up on them when I had so many missfires. This weekend I thought I would give them another try but after that one tripping in my mug I changed my mind and I will continue to use 209's. I have had NO misfires with 209a's and unless advised otherwise will continue thier use. Hopefully this has been helpfull to others ,,,john,,,

vari flame

if you know the primer has not fires put a little oil on it to deaden the primer than remove it. It will not denotate than.

Iwould have soaked them in water if I had known but usually I check for pin indent and did but I should have isolated the misfires when it happened originally about 6 months ago. 100% my fault . I still won't use them especially when hunting when "click" = zero bullet delivery. Hopefully anybody else useing them is having better luck. thanks,,,john,,,

fishinguns said:
Iwould have soaked them in water if I had known but usually I check for pin indent and did but I should have isolated the misfires when it happened originally about 6 months ago. 100% my fault . I still won't use them especially when hunting when "click" = zero bullet delivery. Hopefully anybody else useing them is having better luck. thanks,,,john,,,

I have used the same 10 variflame adapters for 2 years. No hangfires, and no accidental discharge while loading / unloading. I stopped counting the number of rounds downrange.

I have just got done experimenting with the variflames. In My encore they work great, they fire everytime. I used CCI and Federal SRP's. Accuracy doesnt seem to be "improved" but its not degrading anything either. If Im honest with my self, I think the barrel is just as dirty as with regular 209's. The ring left behind is a little bit less though with the SRP. But with regular cleaning after each shot, the difference is not enough to warrant the hassle of the variflames. I didnt try two or three shots without cleaning to see what that would be like however.
Conclusion for me> Not really worth it.

Vari-flames with CCI small rifle primers would not fire in either my Lyman Mustang or my brother-in-law's Knight disc. An expensive hassle.

You guys are right as for me it was an expensive hassle. Didn't see much of an advantage in either cleaning or acuracy and it was just another step to go through but as always trying to get a little more out of equipment I gave it a shot,,,or in the case of my knight no shot. I guess I fell for the hype not knowing any more than what was advertised. Like I said I hope you guys have better luck with them than I did but if anybody wants to try them I will send them free of charge and you can try them yourself just post adress on my pm and I will send them out asap in regular mail with no primers,,,john,,,

Back