Underhammer Kit Ordered

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been awhile since i posted on my kit build. Lets say my Butt plate pre-carved went too deep into my wood on top. Only way to fix it is to cut it off about half inch. Then my LOP will be half inch too short. I call Mr. Hoyt about my barrel, he said he has it rough bored. He told me he will mill the octagon flats next week. Then finish up the bore. I figure it will get here around June 10th. So i will have to get some finer grit sand paper n get back on the stock work. I may start off with a peep n fiber optic .040 for the front.

I don't know if i will be here in Ky. long enough for my barrel to get here. We are starting to pack up to move back to Mo. Update on my barrel is its still waiting to be milled Octagon . Geez 34 more days just sitting there. Evidently i just thought i would get this kit/parts build done to hunt with this Fall. I am going to pack all the parts into a box. Store it in my cargo trailer to possibly work on this Winter.

I plan on getting this rifle built even if my custom ordered barrel does not make it. I got tired of waiting 5 months for a barrel that is only rough bored. I ordered a new .40 cal. 1:48 twist, breech plug installed. Nipple hole drilled n tapped & a few nipples. Barrel cut n crowned. Barrel was in stock, so the work is to be completed n shipped next week. We shall see !

Last edited:
Seems things don't go the way i had thought they would. I got a bbl. i had ordered from Pecatonica in a .40 cal with a 1:48 twist. Size is right length & all work was correct except. They drilled & tapped my nipple hole 1/16" farther to the muzzle than required. My Hammer will barely close over the percussion cap. My Gn. Mtn. bbl. turns out to be a Colerain bbl. cut from a 42" down to a 32". Had the heaviest milling marks on the flats i have ran into. I don't plan on ever getting another Colerain sent to me. I had rather wait on another bbl. 3-6 months

I got the bbl. draw filed n cleaned up. I started using this oxpho-blue on it. Went with what directions were on the label. When i wiped it down it was streaked from one end to the other. Not what i was expecting to see. Even after the wd40 wipe down its still streaked. I took the #4 0 to it n burnished it. I will clean with rubbing alcohol n try it again.

I put 2 coats on it. Then after i cleaned it again i put 3rd n cleaned it. Its not a good cold blue to me. What do i know, i did my Scouts barrel n it turned out the same way. Now if it gets too light i just apply another coat n clean.

Nothing to update. My friend Gunsmith has had surgery & trying to recover from it. Told me the other day he had been looking at my rifle. So i am hoping he will get to start work this month.

Latest posts

Back