Sight height

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need advice as i am ignorant on this subject. Reason is i mostly get a kit that comes with sights that are in the kit. I just did not want cheap cast open sights, that i was going to have dovetails cut into my barrel. I am not a period correct person, i am a person that likes very usable sights. My rifle action receiver is a 1" dia. where my BP is installed. My barrel is 13/16"-187.5 " lower than receiver ht. So would i add that much to get it up to use ? I will tell you why i ask, the ML club i am joining has a rule of all ML's shooting in matches will be open sighted n no peeps allowed. Is there a great advantage to a peep sight over open sights ?

The elevation difference between front and rear sight will control your zero distance, and if the rear is adjustable (or front...) its maximal traversal will determine your shortest and longest zero ranges possible. Height above the bore also has an effect on trajectory....

The other thing to consider is actually aiming. Getting a good repeatable cheek weld and having the sights at the proper height in relation to your head position so you can get a proper sight picture.

This all applies to ANY type of sights.

And yes, Peeps can make things MUCH more accurate over open irons, especially for those of us on the wrong side of 50

The really great gunsmith who mounted a Skinner peep on my Renegade (just forward of the back of the plug) had a good suggestion for finding out what the height of a front sight needs to be: Put the elevation of the rear sight at the mid point of its vertical adjustment range, and then put a piece of masking tape over the front sight by attaching the masking tape to one side of the front sight, folding the masking tape at a height about 3/8 inches above the existing front sight, and then attaching it to the other side of the front sight to form a new masking tape front sight. In other words, make a new front sight of masking tape that is supported by the existing front sight, and can be trimmed down until it's the correct height. Then shoot the rifle with your favorite load, and trim the masking tape until your shots are hitting where you want them to. The height of the masking tape front sight will be the front sight height that you want to order.

The elevation difference between front and rear sight will control your zero distance, and if the rear is adjustable (or front...) its maximal traversal will determine your shortest and longest zero ranges possible. Height above the bore also has an effect on trajectory....

The other thing to consider is actually aiming. Getting a good repeatable cheek weld and having the sights at the proper height in relation to your head position so you can get a proper sight picture.

This all applies to ANY type of sights.

And yes, Peeps can make things MUCH more accurate over open irons, especially for those of us on the wrong side of 50
Peeps are faster and more accurate for eyes of all ages.... which is why they've been standard equipment on military rifles for nearly a hundred years now. They've been standard equipment on non-scoped target rifles for a lot longer than that.

Peeps are almost essential for those of us who are much older than 40.

The really great gunsmith who mounted a Skinner peep on my Renegade (just forward of the back of the plug) had a good suggestion for finding out what the height of a front sight needs to be: Put the elevation of the rear sight at the mid point of its vertical adjustment range, and then put a piece of masking tape over the front sight by attaching the masking tape to one side of the front sight, folding the masking tape at a height about 3/8 inches above the existing front sight, and then attaching it to the other side of the front sight to form a new masking tape front sight. In other words, make a new front sight of masking tape that is supported by the existing front sight, and can be trimmed down until it's the correct height. Then shoot the rifle with your favorite load, and trim the masking tape until your shots are hitting where you want them to. The height of the masking tape front sight will be the front sight height that you want to order.
Do you have a picture of that taped front sight? Thanks

deermanok, I made it from a blank sight I got off TOTW.

Black Locust, Target acq for my eyes is swifter than the out of focus buckhorn that's for sure. I've been shooting peeps on unmentionables for years; ymmv.

I used a 7/64" drill for that peep. I tried a bunch of diameters before settling on that size.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back