Why no love for Bore Butter?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've used the stuff for 11 years as a patch and bullet lube, breech plug grease and rust prevantative and have had no problems at all.
I used the hard stuff in the screw top jar , microwaved till liquid , to dip lube minieballs for my 1853 Enfield repop.I use the tube stuff for patch lube and to grease up the plug threads in my daughters Traditions Tracker. Never had a stuck plug.
One thing I can say is if you use it as a bore protectant, the bore must be CLEAN before you apply it.I notice that if there is anything in the bore it will show up on a bore butter patch even after other solvent patches show clean. I use it on the exterior metal if the weather is ugly and haven't had anything rust. I know in hot weather the tube stuff goes just about liquid, but so do most other lubes. I never had a problem with BB patches ramming tough in cold weather either.
I've read some posts showing a general dislike for the stuff, but nothing specific.I dont know if I buy the " seasoning" claim, but I do know my barrels are alot easier to clean both on the range in the field and the general cleaning at home when I use the stuff.I just started using it in my Black Diamond and as long as I tight patch her acouple times before loading the first shot I have no problems with the first being out of group. I like the stuff and will continue to use it, but I am curious...

Bore butter isn't a BAD product, I just feel there are better ones on the market - especially for the modern in-line guns. I use bore butter as part of my patch-lube solution for round ball shooting and for wonder wad lube as well for conicals and in my 1858 revolver.

Seasoning is definitely not a reason in a modern barrel - it definitely served a purpose years ago with older iron barrels, but in modern steel barrels it is more of a hindrance than a help. And as you said, if there is Anything in that bore - the butter is going to trap it against the metal, possibly to its detriment. A modern gun oil won't react the same way and typically won't dry out like butter will if left alone for long periods of time.

I keep a tube of butter in my black powder range box - but it just gets used for the things I think it is best at.

There are some people that have excellent luck with bore butter. I was not one of them. Besides getting tobacco colored patches out of a "protected" rifle when I prepared it for another day on the range, I developed a build up of the stuff. It lead me down the road to some terrible accuracy.

I boiled the stuff out of my rifle and decided to use gun oil instead to preserve the barrel. I don't believe that seasoning stuff, but some do. I have no problems with other people using bore butter in their rifles. As long as it is in their rifles and not mine.

yup

Same thing happened to my father in law. He used the stuff all the time in his MK85. That gun was very accurate until the build up got to be to much. That gun went totally down hill. He couldnt hit anything. Gut shot a couple of deer and almost quit hunting. He thought it was him.

Well, I did some research and used boiling hot water to clean the barrel. You would not believe the stuff that came out of that gun!!!!!! It took about 2-3 days of cleaning but we got it all out.

He's back to loving his ol' MK85

Same experience here with Wonderlube. It built up in the bore and had to be scrubbed out. Never again.

I use to use that mess on round ball patches.But not any more.I wouldn't use it now on a plow point.

Back