Trouble Stripping Pietta Navy and Remington

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forrest-hunter1

Reaction score
Have a terrible time removing and re-installing  wedge on Navy and pulling the cylinder pin on the Remington - any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated - plan on shooting both this weekend - they have been in safe for years because of this problem - both have only been shoot once since I got from Cabelas

Wooden spoon and penetrating oil.  Oil and tap on them.  Remove all oil before range trip.

Sparkitoff covered it, you may also try a non marring hammer/mallet and strike wedge,

On one of my Colt revolvers the wedge only went in easily from the left. On my other Colt it only went in like it is supposed to from the right. Also check your wedge to make sure it is not bowed. Don't lube the wedge when you put it in.
On my Remington 1858 New Army, as long as the pin isn't bent and you use a proper lube (not Crisco or patch/bullet lube, it melts on the first shot. I used a light coat of synthetic wheelbearing grease) you should not have difficulty pulling the pin.

Latest posts

Back