Traditions Kentucky; trigger mod

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stan57

Reaction score
I got a reasonable deal on a R2020 Traditions Kentucky percussion rifle last week. It's finished better than I could have done with a kit, and I just wanted a low-cost PRB plinker:

IMG_20220926_201721247.jpg

I haven't been able to get to the range yet for various reasons (maybe tomorrow), so I took the time to look it over and tweak it a little.

The hammer is not concentric with the nipple, but not enough to hamper cap ignition - I've popped a few to verify. I know how to heat & bend, but I'll just leave it as-is for now since it goes bang every time:
IMG_20220926_202513075.jpg

The main thing I did was tighten up the floppy trigger. I took a few pics and thought y'all might be interested. It did tighten it up quite a bit.

IMG_20220926_192625146.jpg

After removing the trigger, I could see that the bridle was splayed out and the trigger pin was a sloppy fit in the trigger.

IMG_20220926_192814381.jpg

I tightened up the fit of the bridle to the trigger by squeezing it together in a vice:

IMG_20220926_192829787.jpg

Finished mod:
IMG_20220926_193232696.jpg

If the trigger needs tightening later I can just loosen the bridle, push it in a little tighter, and re-tighten - so it has some built in wear compensation.

I put a dab of AR15 trigger grease on the pivot pin and where the trigger touches the sear. I had removed, disassembled, cleaned and lubed the lock earlier. A check with the trigger pull gauge indicated 3 pounds or so. I'm happy with that for now:

IMG_20220926_201252212.jpg

That's all I'm going to do to it for now. I'll post a range review after I take it out.

Range test: 50 yards, 80 F, blustery hurricane Ian crosswinds, only time for 5 shots! 50 grains 2F Goex, .490 Hornady balls, CCI#11's, various patches.

IMG_20220927_133720233.jpg

Shot #1 was the first patched round ball I have shot in over 30 years!

The last upper 3 were with pre-treated Traditions .015 patches. No sight adjustments for now

stan57 out.

Stan, Have no doubt that a PRB will kill deer just fine. In all my years of hunting deer I killed most with a muzzle loader and most of those a PRB. So I encourage you to think of trying it as a hunting gun as well as a plinker. Nice job on the fix. Enjoy

As long as the caps go off ok, I wouldn't mess with bending the hammer.
I used the same trigger assembly on a flintlock rifle I put together earlier this year. Mine's a bit sloppy as well.
I may have to take your idea to modify my trigger.
Thanks for sharing.
Pretty good shooting there too.

Deermanok, I put a .013 shim between the hammer and the lock plate, and it lines up better with the nipple now. Still off a little, but much better. The tumbler is wobbling in the lock plate hole and this straightens it up.

Last edited:
Deermanok, I put a .013 shim between the hammer and the lock plate, and it lines up better with the nipple now. Still off a little, but much better. The tumbler is wobbling in the lock plate hole and this straightens it up.
I had to shim a hammer on one of my rifles. It was way too far left to bend.

Latest posts

Back