bragging up bh 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkruger

Reaction score
im more of a reader than a poster, but i found it necessary to speak about bh 209. i picked up a few cans to mess around with just to see what all the fuss was. and i can honestly say this is an incredable substitute.
i shoot a knight original disk , double converted to no disk, and this is a gun that struggled to make a 4 inch group with a multitude of bullets and substitute combinations.
today i tried 100gr. of bh w/a 300gr xtp and to my amazement a 5/8" group at 100yds was printed. i also like the easy cleanup after the shooting sessions. this powder is a real deal.

jim

I just picked it up last week as well and LOVE it thus far

im interested in how it will perform in the cold , to see if temps change point of impact. one observation i did note, i needed a real tight fitting projectile or all i got was a poof. the no excuses 460gr wasent tight enough apparently.

jkruger said:
im interested in how it will perform in the cold , to see if temps change point of impact. one observation i did note, i needed a real tight fitting projectile or all i got was a poof. the no excuses 460gr wasent tight enough apparently.

the last professional range report I saw was done in 41 degrees...although not cold its much better than the 85 or so I was shooting at last week

I can't believe what they want for a (10oz can) a little over a half pound of it! :shock: It must be good,at those prices. I haven't found anything (game) left standing after a 3 pellet load,with a 250SW out of my Pro Hunter. At those prices,it would have to field dress the game too! :D At those prices it is CHEAPER to shoot my 300 Win mag! :D Ron

rks1949 said:
I can't believe what they want for a (10oz can) a little over a half pound of it! :shock: It must be good,at those prices. I haven't found anything (game) left standing after a 3 pellet load,with a 250SW out of my Pro Hunter. At those prices,it would have to field dress the game too! :D At those prices it is CHEAPER to shoot my 300 Win mag! :D Ron

quoted from Chuck Hawks page

One 10 oz. bottle of BH209 gives you more shots than $65 worth of Triple Se7en three pellet loads with no crud, no immediate cleanup and no corrosion. The shelf life of Blackhorn 209 is indefinite when properly stored in a sealed container. This is in stark contrast to Triple Se7en, which immediately starts absorbing moisture

So how many shots(per 10oz. can) are you getting? At how many grains per load? Ron PS I've got some T& that 3 yrs. old,and no moisture,shoots like it was purchased yesterday.

At 110 gr loads, you get around 60 shots per can of BH 209. That's bout 50 cents/shot.

You can easily see how T7 deteriorates over time when you shoot it thru a chronograph. My last bottle lost almost 200 fps from 1 season to the next. Sure it will go "bang", just not as much.

I'm using the last of my Pyrodex and T7 as fire starter powder.

Latest posts

Back