To late to move a stand?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Reaction score
I always like getting my stands ready early spring or throughout the summer but with my work schedule, 3 kids which two of them are now in sports during the summer, I just couldn't get up to camp. Anyway I have the urge to move my stand about 100 yards to the west up a big ol pine. Reason being I think I am getting to far in there and can not do so quietly with out spokin them out all day. If I move the stand I never have to enter the woods, I can walk in stealthy along the edge of the marsh in the grass/cattails. The season starts Nov. 9h but I don't hunt up there till the 14th. I can't get up there till 3 weeks before the season and am concerned that is to close to get in there and mess with things.

The view behind this stand isn't to shabby.
2011-11-10_08-56-52_676_zpsa631c06a.jpg

Move the stand as quietly as possible and then stay out of the area for a few days. You should be fine. Deer become used to things, but things in trees not so much. I have moved stands and set them up the day before season and shot deer off them the next day.

I wouldn't worry to much about it. When we go out of state we hang them whenever we get there and hunt them the next morning. I have killed many deer the next day.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

You'll be fine. Just get in, get it done,& get out for a few days. Good luck. Keep us posted.

I put up this blind and hunted out of it immediately. These two yearlings came out about an hour before sunset and browsed around me for about 30 min. before getting bored. The darker one had a real narrow rack, only as wide as the base of his ears but tall, the lighter one's rack was as wide as the tips but very skinny. Both were little 6 pointers. They wanted to continue to my right where there was standing corn but they just weren't comfortable enough to go by me. In years past, I've hung stands at 1 or 2 am and then killed deer that morning - but I don't make a practice of that! You'll probably be ok.

(Click for video)

That's a cool video! They knew something was up but not quit sure.

I ended up just leaving the ladder stand where it is and putting a hanging stand about 30 feet up that huge old pine. We have got so much rain up there lately that the old stand is pretty much on an island since there is so much water around, especially with the beavers going to town building a new dam.

i would move the stand.

but i must say it really depends on the local deer you are hunting.
i know of one old doe with notch in her ear that comes down the creek line looking up in the trees
every single year for the past 5 years or so i shot her twin in the same creek opening day one year
and she say me up in the tree for sure look right at me ran off ran back like she was saying get up
lets get out of here. deer learn what the prey is and have a memory for sure.

Latest posts

Back