This true and I was the one...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
Pete you'll enjoy this, its true and I was the one with the race car.

Back in 1969 I purchased a new Dodge Six-Pack vehicle, within just a few weeks it was determined this car got terrible gas mileage with the 440 - 410 horsepower and low gearing. Having 10-12 years experience working for a National Recorder Holder - drag racing neighbor, decided to turn the car into a racer.

bandit1.jpg
A friend owned a Chevron station where I kept the car in one bay (they moved it out doing the day, liked it there as the kids would come in to look at the vehicle and buy gas).​
Long story short.  One evening a guy in a 1969 big block Chevy comes in and wants to race!  A good friend is there and says "$20 bucks", this shocks me as he's a police officer for the town.  The guy agrees we back the car out of the bay (its loud running out of the headers). Both vehicles pull out onto the street and pull up to the light. I screwed up thinking he was in the first lane (really in the middle lane) we end up in the turn lane. The light changes and off we go, then out of no ware there's flashing lights, local cop was watching us. The Chevy grabs a right turn and disappears. I pull into a gas station lot up the street with the police car on my bumper. I look at my friend (the cop) and say "Dave you talk to him".... Dave looks at me and says "F You your driving", I kiss my butt good bye. The officer comes to my window to ask for cards and see's his Sgt. in the passenger seat. "Hi Sgt. how are you guys tonight", they talk a little then I'm told to please put the toy away.​
My dear friend the Sgt. has told that story for the last some 40 years. I still get sick of what could have happened. ​
:slaps:    :Questuon:    :No:​

Ahhh street racing. Here's mine. I started driving at 10 years old on my buddies farm. So, I had a lot f experience when I got to high school.

I bought a 47 Ford coupe and put a small block Chevy engine built by Bob Johnick. I was living in Santa Barbara Ca. at the time. I rented a garage down the street from where I lived. I'd leave for school in the morning walk to the garage and drive to school. I was 14 at the time. My parents never found out.

So, street racing was big then and I raced almost everyday. I was the luckiest guy in the world. Everytime a cop would chase us we'd split up and everytime the cop chased the other guy. My dad would have killed me if I was caught.

Speaking of mopars. I bought a 1963 Plymouth Savoy. The planiest looking car you ever saw. It was a drag package that I had to sign paperwork saying I wouldn't register it. yeah right! register it was the first thing I did. It had the 426 Stage III engine in it. It was the last wedge before the hemi came out. Two kitty corner holleys, huge headers and a cam that barely idled. I loved it. Beefed up torqeflite, dana 60 and turned high 10's at the drags. I won a bunch of street races with that car.

Goos old days.

You having a '63 Plymouth wedge you'll know who Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins and Dave Strickler are. The "Old Reliable" 409 Chevy held many records, when GM announced getting out of the performance mode in late '63 Chrysler contacted Jenkins and Strickler, a deal was made under the table. I lived next door to Jenkins, worked at his shop (he never said anything). One day a car carrier pulls up at the house with (2) '63 Dodges, one a 330 coupe and the other a 440 hardtop. Neither car had a drive train, we unloaded them set them in the garage and covered them. Two days later came 426 Stage IV motors with boxes of the latest upgrades for performance. "The Dodge Boys" name hit the race papers and we all got white cowboy hats, and shirts with the name.  We got one of the first Hemi's which was put in the 330 body for testing. The first race in 1964 at Cecil Maryland that was the first factory bodied car to go into the 10 second bracket.  Fun times.​
I've had some good cars (all Mopars) and twice as many bad or all so run vehicles in a 50 year span. I'm lucky the wife has stayed around in the last 20 years as all she see's is $$$$$ being spent.​
dansca8_zps9148a5ed.jpg
This was my last car sold in 2010, nice small block Mopar that would fly with little weight. ​
At 70 the wife said "that's enough, I go or the car goes".​
:tongue:​

Pretty cool. Yes, I sure did know then, well of them. I never met them. I left drag racing in my 20's and got hooked on road racing I had lots of fun doing that. Then tried dirt bike racing. I loved any kind of racing and still do.

So, what's the deal? Old car racers turn to Hawkens?  :D

I still race guys all over the world in F1 on the computer. It's all I can afford now and it's not that cheap. You need a good gaming computer, force feedback wheel, and pedals.

Bear Claw said:
Pretty cool. Yes, I sure did know then, well of them. I never met them. I left drag racing in my 20's and got hooked on road racing I had lots of fun doing that. Then tried dirt bike racing. I loved any kind of racing and still do.

So, what's the deal? Old car racers turn to Hawkens?  :D

I still race guys all over the world in F1 on the computer. It's all I can afford now and it's not that cheap. You need a good gaming computer, force feedback wheel, and pedals.
I'm like you, held records in soap box, motor cross and circle track when young, then moved to drag racing. Slid on my back through the traps at 104 MPH when falling off a dual engine BSA at York US30 in PA in the mid 60's. Like you say "loved any kind of racing and still do".

My family have been antique weapon collectors since before 1900, so it was a natural for me. My dad had an original 1/2 stock Hawken back in the 50's, just a gun to make money on and it was traded. I was one of the first GRRW dealers in Northern Colorado in the early 70's. 

Then after 40 years Ron Paull and I were talking about how much fun it would be to get those interested of the old group back together again, that was Dec, 2015. First order Jan. 02, 2016 and here we go....

Something to do, better than licking your wounds ....
:Questuon:

Latest posts

Back