This evenings action from the tree stand.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first one was a good 15+ lbs, very heavy. This other one was maybe 10lbs at most, pretty skinny little runt.

If your going to keep them to flesh for awhile roll up and put in plastic bag and put in a very cold refrigerator, cant keep furs stored in room temps or even cooler temps for long as hair slips easily..
 you can even roll up and put in freezer until ready to do it.. trapped for 20 yrs when I was younger and used to store my furs in freezer until ready to sell to buyer who didnt like them stretched.

if you want to get them to come in consistently get a cat or kitten in distress recording put on your call, when they wouldn't come to anything else Ive killed a bunch of coyotes/foxes with that call, they like to eat kittys easier to catch then a rabbit.

FrontierGander said:
I'll have to look into that and put it on the card.
I found that when calling coyotes the louder you play the cat distress the better, play for a minute real loud then go to 1/3 volume for 5 minutes then mute for 2-3 minutes or longer then start over.
With fox usually med loud and continuous sound works, especially greys as they are very aggressive.

dbowling said:
FrontierGander said:
I'll have to look into that and put it on the card.
I found that when calling coyotes the louder you play the cat distress the better, play for a minute real loud then go to 1/3 volume for 5 minutes then mute for 2-3 minutes or longer then start over.
With fox usually med loud and continuous sound works, especially greys as they are very aggressive.
That definitely makes sense Dean, Coyotes kill a LOT of House Cats around here! I have “Distressed Kitten” Sound on my Foxpro Wildfire 2, I will try it the Next time i get out. When i ordered my Call it came with 35 Sounds I believe? I ordered it from Allpredatorcalls.com 5-6 years ago. I remember paying a little extra for 10 of the other sounds, and in that deal they would ad the Sounds to my new Caller for me. The guy on the Phone asked me what sounds i wanted? I told him that I really wasn’t sure? I explained to him that i lived in North Idaho, and what i planned to Hunt, From that info he DownLoaded the Most popular rated Foxpro Sounds on my Caller that he was confident would work here, This “Distressed Kitten” is 1 of the Sounds he Downloaded. At the time i ordered my Caller the No. 1 Rated Foxpro sound was “Lightning Jack” That is what i killed the 2 Coyotes with. I will definitely try the Kitten the next chance i get out.

Back when I was calling a lot the distressed cat and kitten were what I used 90 percent of the time.. Also used distressed grey fox pup a lot, seems coyotes like to eat them to.

I not removing a thing. There are many other states that allows trapping, Colorado is one of them. All states have their rules and regulations that we follow. I never said I trapped this fox so why would I remove trapping from the forum? Its for predator hunting AND trapping use. I don't want to take up more space on the forum with something that's not going to get used an entire lot.
'Till now. Buck quoting the trapping, hound hunting etc rules from CALIrado hardly is a true reflection of trapping laws over much of the followers of this forum. I joined this website due to the diversity of subjects it covers and at mid 70s have at least a interest and some experience in many of them. Though I've been here since '17 I now have the time to learn and contribute in a small way Though I won't be as ubiquitous as many. The pictures I post are not brag, just wanting to offer some credibility to my postings. Let me know if I should change this. Been trapping large predators for 14 yrs since my semi-retirement and would like to answer any questions I'm capable of. If it weren't for trappers we might all be living East of the Miss. river LOL. It appears to me the picture on the home page depicts trappers on the "Stone" with many plews? My apologies to the many folks on this forum from Colo if they are offended by my spelling of their state. Many families from there relocating hereabouts, all good people just wanting more of what Wyo offers. I've thought about this reply for over a week and glad to have it done. out hereP1010008.JPGQ3080007.JPGQC290068.JPGP3110076.JPG

Well fudge! I gave him a salt bath today and a couple hours later, i went and started fleshing him real good. Rung him out, washed him with some nice smelling anti shed shampoo. Took him inside and was washing him out and noticed he had a huge bald spot on his head.... :x

The hair was slipping all over and very easily.

Last time I do that! From now on, flesh right away, luke warm salt water bath, stretch on board, leave it alone!

live and learn.
Those thin skinned animals are demanding. Cats ,fox, mink etc. I skin as soon as possible, same day, then wash in cold H20 with dish soap, no need for salt,and hang to drip dry overnight then flesh being careful not to cut the hide If possible. Then I have a trash bag with a medium amt of Borax ( a drying agent that works well). Then I place the hide in it and give it a thorough shaking being sure to cover all raw skin then put on board overnight then turn hair side out hydrating with a wet sponge around the neck and head area if needed. Be sure and cut off the lower jaw hide as this makes turning much easier..My 2 cents, Out Here

'Till now. Buck quoting the trapping, hound hunting etc rules from CALIrado hardly is a true reflection of trapping laws over much of the followers of this forum. I joined this website due to the diversity of subjects it covers and at mid 70s have at least a interest and some experience in many of them. Though I've been here since '17 I now have the time to learn and contribute in a small way Though I won't be as ubiquitous as many. The pictures I post are not brag, just wanting to offer some credibility to my postings. Let me know if I should change this. Been trapping large predators for 14 yrs since my semi-retirement and would like to answer any questions I'm capable of. If it weren't for trappers we might all be living East of the Miss. river LOL. It appears to me the picture on the home page depicts trappers on the "Stone" with many plews? My apologies to the many folks on this forum from Colo if they are offended by my spelling of their state. Many families from there relocating hereabouts, all good people just wanting more of what Wyo offers. I've thought about this reply for over a week and glad to have it done. out hereView attachment 550View attachment 551View attachment 552View attachment 553
Thanks for sharing Mossie. We don't hear much from fur traders now-a-days.

don't knock those of us who live in Colorado. Most of the counties here in Colorado are conservatives. Unfortunately the large cities (Denver, Boulder, Golden) run this state with their Liberal Democrats. If we changed the voting laws and required would require you take a majority of the counties to win (kind of like the Electoral College) yo would never see another Sociaalist Democrat in charge of taking our freedom again.
BTW: You are correct. Many of us are considering moving to Wyoming. Beautiful country up there.

I worked out of Ft Lupton many years. I do realize the Metro area pop centers pass laws based on Walt Disney emotions and don't know squat about rural America. Same with Northern Cali, outdoor loving people trapped in a state run by southern #&#$@s. We have several families that moved here following the logging and extraction industries. All came here with a trade, a dream, and fit right in.

'Till now. Buck quoting the trapping, hound hunting etc rules from CALIrado hardly is a true reflection of trapping laws over much of the followers of this forum. I joined this website due to the diversity of subjects it covers and at mid 70s have at least a interest and some experience in many of them. Though I've been here since '17 I now have the time to learn and contribute in a small way Though I won't be as ubiquitous as many. The pictures I post are not brag, just wanting to offer some credibility to my postings. Let me know if I should change this. Been trapping large predators for 14 yrs since my semi-retirement and would like to answer any questions I'm capable of. If it weren't for trappers we might all be living East of the Miss. river LOL. It appears to me the picture on the home page depicts trappers on the "Stone" with many plews? My apologies to the many folks on this forum from Colo if they are offended by my spelling of their state. Many families from there relocating hereabouts, all good people just wanting more of what Wyo offers. I've thought about this reply for over a week and glad to have it done. out hereView attachment 550View attachment 551View attachment 552View attachment 553

First an foremost....that is an awesome haul for fur. Congrats on those Bobs!

I live in Colorado, but I am an Appalachian American by birth....which makes me a mountain hill billy or whatever you want to call it. I also feel that Colorado has been impacted and influenced by those that move here. Yes, Colorado has passed some ridiculous laws for firearms and other B.S. But I am glad that I live where I do, as I have been able to provide a great living atmosphere for my children to grow up in.......and the hunting isn't bad either.

I hunt in Wyoming quite a bit for Coyotes. Beautiful country up there and those song dogs are thick as thieves.

Went out to my lease today to check cameras and do a little Deer and Hog hunting .Climbed up in my blind which is 100 yds to the feeder and way down the clearing past the feeder saw something in the brush thought it was a small pig at first then it got out in the open more and it was a Bobcat . I was hunting with my Ruger 77 in 275 Rigby first time i tried it put the scope on his neck and dropped him instantly . 2 small holes thru neck almost no damage to the hide. got out my range finder and it measured 209 yds .Im impressed with my little Ruger and the Vortex scope I put on it.Bobcat.jpg

Good shootin' I also like the ctg. It killed a lot of rogue elephants and surely should handle a bobcat or hog. Just a nice all around round, pleasant to shoot and can be enjoyed by ladies and youth also. Yesterday I traded for a DWM Mauser action custom Mountain rifle in that caliber, 5 1/2# with a spoon hdle bolt and mannlicher (sp?) walnut stock. Not a high end build and might have to shoot it a little before putting it on line... Out Here

Went out to my lease today to check cameras and do a little Deer and Hog hunting .Climbed up in my blind which is 100 yds to the feeder and way down the clearing past the feeder saw something in the brush thought it was a small pig at first then it got out in the open more and it was a Bobcat . I was hunting with my Ruger 77 in 275 Rigby first time i tried it put the scope on his neck and dropped him instantly . 2 small holes thru neck almost no damage to the hide. got out my range finder and it measured 209 yds .Im impressed with my little Ruger and the Vortex scope I put on it.View attachment 564
Nice cat!

I'm a wildcat "fan" and find them to be extremely interesting to watch, hunt and study. Bobcats were ubiquitous in my native Georgia and a fairly common sight in the deer woods. I killed a couple with my .45 percussion and observed many others. On the left side of the photo is one of them.

4fd9c88d-3e56-40ea-837a-f8e416f47111-zpsrc7diicj.jpg

Mossi , My little 275 has a Mannlicher stock also . I have always been a fan of most of the 7mm Cal . guns . Ruger Hawkeye 275.jpg

Back