Thinking of this rifle????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoorsman1

Reaction score
Thinking of trying a flintlock. Own a Crockett.32, Hopkins and Allen buggy rifle, cva 12ga, and cva .50 caliber all in percussion.

would this tradition be an ok shooter or should I spring for the Lyman trade rifle instead? Looking for a round ball deer gun.

Attachments

• 2E92129A-4D63-4F43-87F6-68F6FF579813.png
    2E92129A-4D63-4F43-87F6-68F6FF579813.png
    744.7 KB · Views: 17
Are you going to use it to hunt with or just target shoot ? If it's going to be for hunting, decide what game your thinking about. The .32 caliber would work on squirrels and rabbits, maybe a bird or two. The .50 caliber would be nice for larger game and excellent for target work. The 12 gauge is the same as a modern gun, small game to large game depending on your state's laws. Lots to consider with your choices. 😒

W
The twist is 1-66, that's good for a round ball rifle. If it has a good lock, you should be good to go.
Was hoping maybe someone’s had experience with this one that could give some input. Yes it’s a round ball twist just not sure of the quality compared to the Lyman rifles. I’m thinking the Lyman will be better quality but all the traditions I’ve owned or otherwise had dealings with have always been good for the money.

thanks for the reply!

Are you going to use it to hunt with or just target shoot ? If it's going to be for hunting, decide what game your thinking about. The .32 caliber would work on squirrels and rabbits, maybe a bird or two. The .50 caliber would be nice for larger game and excellent for target work. The 12 gauge is the same as a modern gun, small game to large game depending on your state's laws. Lots to consider with your choices. 😒

Already own all the guns I listed and each has it’s reason for still being on my wall.
Just wanted to try flintlock as I never have. This will be a deer/target round ball gun.
How does it compare to the Lyman? Is it as good quality, about the same, better or worse?
Thanks

Once you get over fliching you'll find you have become a better shot with your other guns. Learning to hold the weapon throught the firing process and after is the key for being a better marksman.

I’ve wondered about the flinching. Especially since I am a south paw shooter.
You'll have to work at flinching with having the lock next to your cheek and eyes. One of the suppliers use to have a devise for eye protection for lefties, can't remember what or how well it worked? Kind of like the old welding glasses with the little piece of plastic on the sides protecting the wearers eyes.

Last edited:
I already wear glasses 🤓 to see!🤦‍♂️

Eye protection not a problem!

Flinching I will just have to learn to deal with.

On a side note I got out with the .32 Crockett this afternoon for some shooting. Let my twin 11 year old grandsons shoot it. They thought it was cool!😎

Have owned the CVA Kentucky rifle and love it ,,,then bought the traditions and find no diff. inthe way they shoot . I have taken several deer with both and won a lot of Turkey shoots with both rifles,I love a 1 in 66 twist........

I’ve heard good and bad (mostly good) about Lyman rifles made by Investarms of Italy. However, as gun makers go, they’re probably at the bottom of the Italian Gun Suppliers in quality. Traditions are made in Spain and the only Muzzle Loaders imported from there at this time, that I know of.

I’m also thinking about purchasing the Kentucky Rifle for Hunting (I already have a couple of flinters for Target). My reasons are 1) it’s inexpensive so if it gets dinged up a little in the woods, I won’t be heart broken. 2) most of your hunting choices (Traditions Deer Hunter & Lyman Deer Stalker) have 24” barrels with 1-48” twists (round ball or conical). My concern is if you’re shooting a patched Round Ball with say, 80 grains of powder, how much of it, unburned, will exit the muzzle. With Traditions 33.5” barrel, I’m thinking most of it will be used to get the maximum benefit from the charge. As mentioned by someone else, the 1-66” Round ball twist will make it exceptionally accurate for either target work or hunting.

Getting used to that flash in front of your face and learning to ignore it will take a little time and practice. I’ve been taking mine out once a week for the past three and am finally getting some good targets. The most import advice I can give you is 1) don’t take you eye off the target, 2) Don’t forget to follow through; leave it (sight picture) there as if you’re watching the ball pass through it.

Now, having said all that, Lyman IS the only production company that makes a left-handed rifle. Traditions locks have an Adjustable Sear so that you can lighten the Trigger Pull!

The first set of targets is from our monthly match on December 26th. The second is from yesterday after several weeks of practice (both @ 25 yards)!

Attachments

• 20201226_111154.jpg
    20201226_111154.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20210117_164757.jpg
    20210117_164757.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Good Shooting BP Addict!

I still haven't decided yet what I'm going to do. I just don't know that I'll like the flinter shooting as much as percussion?

On another note, I did just order a Green Mountain Sharps barrel in .40 caliber with 1:16 twist to put on my H&A Underhammer action. Now I'll have to decide on sights, bullets, loads, etc. for that. I also have an Allen inline percussion with a round ball 42" barrel to play with as well.

Too many guns, not enough time!

Years ago, I had the CVA percussion version in .45 caliber. (flintlock was identical, but for lock and had a vent instead of drum and nipple) Accuracy was such that a 1 inch diameter broom stick at 100 yards was a "easy shot" (broom stick and front sight appear same widh. Just line em' up.)

.45 is the minimum in most locations for whitetail deer and most "whitetail size game"
The current Traditions in .50 are either above minimum or minimum for up to and including moose and elk. Minimum for some smaller game, such as Mountain Goat, Big Horn Sheep, and Antelope. At least here in Idaho. Also .50 is minimum for black bear. Personally, for bear of any color, I believe I'd want above minimumm. At least .54, using a 450 grain or heavier conical, like a Maxi Ball, in front of the maximum powder charge.

The CVA/Traditions guns are excellent shooters. They are not exactly "historically accurate" or "period correct", if that matters to you.

Mine is a caplock not flint but shoots to point of aim reliably to about 70-75 yards using PRB and 70 gr. Goex. 1:66" twist Bbl I've had it for nearly 40 years.
Kentucky rifle.JPG

Latest posts

Back