Testing 250gr REAL Bullet - Water Jug Test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Ron's previous test had some conspiracy theories going on that the bullet I sent was made of chilled lead, which it was not... Ron showed how soft it is with the thumb nail test which is always a good indicator in what you are working with.

I decided that since Ron pays for the gas, water and time to do these tests, I would help out and do a test of my own.

I did not use water jugs however. I wanted a more uniform surface and the handle kind of gets in the way and leaves an empty spot. I used some old motor oil ( yes they were cleaned out ) and filled them to the top with water and set up at 25 yards.

I used my Traditions St.Louis Hawken .50cal 1:48 twist, 80gr Pyrodex P, lubed Veggie wad, 250gr REAL bullet at 25 yards.

This bullet just flat out hits like a freight train and keeps on trucking.

My next test, I will use my chilled lead to see how that works! I will be needing more jugs for that test, for sure.

The sharp taper of that REAL bullet IMO, is why this simple, pure lead conical is able to penetrate so deeply and effective.

No plywood, no carpet in front of my jugs. I don't have those supplies in store.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/raQZEcdXXUo" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Nice test. I cast the 320gr Lee REAL bullets. I have never tested them in a medium but I would guess they might work even better. I also have a 200gr Lee REAL for my 45 caliber gun.

Are these 50 or 54? Will they shoot out of a slow twist? Looks impressive.

They are .50cal. They are pretty stubby so its very possible they'd shoot out of a  slow twist. I haven't tried them in a slow twist, so its kind of up in the air.

That looks impressive. I make REALS in 54 300 gr and 58 440 gr Need to get a mold for my 50 cal. I have never done any test except for accuracy with them both 54 and 58 do great in my single barrels and the 58's do better by far then round balls in my Pedersoli Kodiak 58 double.wish they made a mold for 72 I would love to try them in my other Kodiak but I doubt that ever will happen.Doubt the demand will never be there for them.

Latest posts

Back