TC single trigger “Trigger Job”

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sideshow
I am surprised Shilen cancelled your order. I drive by the plant almost everyday and they are open with 8-12 cars in the parking lot. I know their black rifle barrels and such take preference now but i would assume they would take care of you. I have Shilen barrels on both my 22-250 Mauser and my .280 Rem Mauser. Tac drivers and i love them. I know since Ed Shilen passed and his son Doug sold out it is not quite the same but Wade Hull the new owner is a very good person to deal with. At some point i plan on a BPCR rifle and it will have a Shilen barrel on it.
DL
I got an e-mail from Shilen so i dont know either now . Well , i still may use their trigger so maybe i will give it some time . Geez now im Really scratchin my head !!! Thank you tho for this heads up !!! I know my money is green and available too . I think a little ring-a-ling is in order !!! Thanks again !!!
Also thanks for the tip on their barrels too . Its not yet written in stone just where the 40cal will be coming from . I will check this out DL , i like your confidence in them !!!

Last edited:
Sideshow
Back when Shilen was producing their DGA actions and rifles my dad and i where making their bolts and firing pins. Our machine shop Custom Tool Company was an ultra precision company making components for medical and computer services and robotics industry. Ed had a shooting machine with a target having 10 shots in one raged hole. When i do my part, when i was younger, i could cover ten shots with a dime in my 22-250 with Shilen 1-9 twist medium sporter barrel. Now i may be bias because Shilen was a customer and in our home town Ennis Texas but i have no reason to try another brand.
DL

Idaholewis...Great job, and good pic. A couple more pics and this could be a sticky!
I'm sure it gave you a great sense of accomplishment.
I know it did for me when I lowered my Rem700ml trigger to 2 3/8.
viking
Be carefull with those Rem triggers . They sometimes get really unsafe when lowered . Touch the safety or bolt and they fire the gun !!! Im going aftermarket cuz mine got squirrelly !!!

I just acquired a never fired TC Renegade Hunter 50 cal. Been reading all the threads having to do with TC Hawken, Renegade, trigger jobs, etc. The single trigger on mine isn't terrible, but not great either. It breaks somewhere around 4 - 5 lbs. But the trigger itself has a lot of loose "slop" or "flop" (don't know what to call it).

I can polish the sear & tumbler components to lighten the trigger pull, but how do I get rid of that slop? I'm talking about being able to grab the trigger, no matter the hammer position, and wiggle it all around. Especially fore and aft. It moves a lot, like maybe 1/8" - 3/16" at the tip end of the trigger. Tilt the rifle up or down and it makes a very audible click as the trigger falls forward or back. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it normal? Can anything be done about it?

See pics below. The "slot" in the trigger extension plate (A) that mates up with the sear arm (B) has a very wide throat. That's where all the slop is coming from. Can anything be done about it?

TC_RenegadeTriggerLock4.JPG TC_RenegadeTriggerLock5.JPG

I just acquired a never fired TC Renegade Hunter 50 cal. Been reading all the threads having to do with TC Hawken, Renegade, trigger jobs, etc. The single trigger on mine isn't terrible, but not great either. It breaks somewhere around 4 - 5 lbs. But the trigger itself has a lot of loose "slop" or "flop" (don't know what to call it).

I can polish the sear & tumbler components to lighten the trigger pull, but how do I get rid of that slop? I'm talking about being able to grab the trigger, no matter the hammer position, and wiggle it all around. Especially fore and aft. It moves a lot, like maybe 1/8" - 3/16" at the tip end of the trigger. Tilt the rifle up or down and it makes a very audible click as the trigger falls forward or back. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it normal? Can anything be done about it?

See pics below. The "slot" in the trigger extension plate (A) that mates up with the sear arm (B) has a very wide throat. That's where all the slop is coming from. Can anything be done about it?

View attachment 13114 View attachment 13115

I just took my TC New Englander apart to look at it, It doesn’t have that Slot. When you remove the Lock, there is a Trigger tension Spring that “Pulls the Trigger“ to the farthest position (For lack of better words) When you go to put the Lock back in, you must push the Trigger Shoe Forward to Lower what you are referring to as the Trigger extension Plate
OkmLBLb.jpg

I don’t own a Single Trigger Renegade (“Hunter Model”) Therefore i am not familiar with the Trigger Group setup? I am not sure that the Sear is even suppose to go in that Notch?

With the Trigger group mounted in the Stock, When you go to put the Lock in, Can you not push the Trigger Shoe forward “Bypassing” That notch, Like this? Where the Sear is on Top of the Trigger Extension Plate (Like my TC New Englander Single Trigger above)
scoCvmN.jpg

Yes it is supposed to go in the notch . I have a few single trigger TC's , New Englander, Grey hawk And White Mountain Carbine and they had two different style of triggers depending on when they were made. It seems to me that the slop disappeared at full cock.

Yes it is supposed to go in the notch . I have a few single trigger TC's , New Englander, Grey hawk And White Mountain Carbine and they had two different style of triggers depending on when they were made. It seems to me that the slop disappeared at full cock.

Good to know Sax :lewis:

The ONLY Single Trigger i own is the TC New Englander, and to be honest if it wasn’t for my Dad gifting it to me, I would have been RID of it Long ago.

You know Lewis I'm going to have to get into the safe and pull a lock or two to see if your description works, I've always put it into the notch and never gave it a second thought.

You know Lewis I'm going to have to get into the safe and pull a lock or two to see if your description works, I've always put it into the notch and never gave it a second thought.

I wish i had a Single Trigger TC Renegade to tinker with for a few minutes, When i was done i would GIFT it to someone 😁

All joking aside, I did make a GREAT Trigger out of my TC New Englander (Why I originally Started this Thread) And it is an “OK“ little Rifle, I am just not a Fan of the Single Trigger Guns, When folks ask my opinion of them? I ALWAYS advise against them. With a “Set Trigger” Model you have Best of Both Worlds, if you prefer a Stiffer Trigger Pull? Then simply Cock the Rifle and Pull the Front Trigger, You do NOT have to use the “Set Trigger” But if you want an “Ultra Light” Trigger, Say when shooting from a Bench Dialing in your Rifle? You have it at your Disposal :lewis: Simply Cock the Rifle, Pull the rear trigger which “Sets” the Front Trigger, Now you have a SUPER Light, INCREDIBLE Trigger Pull, In the Mid to High Ounces

With The Single Trigger Model Rifles you are STUCK with what they are (A heavy, Stiff Pull, 5-6 Pounds and HEAVIER is NOT uncommon) Unless you decide to do what i did above and “Alter” Them. When i shot my TC New Englander The time before last, I KNEW if I didn’t Tackle the HORRIBLE Trigger Pull I would never Shoot the Rifle again

Last edited:
Well I got lucky on the first one and it was with the style trigger pictured. Its all coming back to me now, it has to go into the notch. It will function with the description Lewis gave but now the trigger has so much slop that the trigger can go all the way forward, not cool. Yes there is slop in all stages of the cock but its not moving around freely on the one I just took apart. This trigger doesn't have a spring in it to hold it against the sear like the other style does, hence the notch. I prefer the style with the spring. Now the gun I was looking at had a barrel in the 60,000 range but that is not the best indicator of what style trigger you will have because I have bought barrels and stocks separately and don't always remember which ones.

I have to agree with Lewis that the double set trigger is King for target shooting but I do like the single for hunting especially after doing the "trigger job" he has laid out for us.

Lewis if you ever find one of those single trigger setups please put me on you " gift list".

Well I got lucky on the first one and it was with the style trigger pictured. Its all coming back to me now, it has to go into the notch. It will function with the description Lewis gave but now the trigger has so much slop that the trigger can go all the way forward, not cool. Yes there is slop in all stages of the cock but its not moving around freely on the one I just took apart. This trigger doesn't have a spring in it to hold it against the sear like the other style does, hence the notch. I prefer the style with the spring. Now the gun I was looking at had a barrel in the 60,000 range but that is not the best indicator of what style trigger you will have because I have bought barrels and stocks separately and don't always remember which ones.

Good to Know my Friend! Thank you for pulling your rifle apart and Testing that, Now we know :lewis: This is what makes a Forum AWESOME :lewis:

Back