Tacking a couple stocks

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Finally got around to ordering 300 tiny, powder horn tacks yesterday. They are 1/2" long, so I am deff going to cut those suckers down and install with either a little gorilla glue or epoxy so they stay in place. I was thinking maybe cutting them down to 1/4" long. What do you think? I will be drilling guide holes to prevent wood from cracking or chipping.

Have not worked out the design on paper yet, but I am visioning it on my forearm of my Hawken so I have a little more grip, but some nice bling to set the rifle off. Along, along the wrist area.

WHEW! Pray for me fellas. I started the tack job tonight on the wrist of my st louis hawken so I can have a little more grip in that area. I am drilling the holes one at a time. Using a tape line as a guideline and its doing a decent job so far.

Bob, I am using brass nails, very small nails that are used for powder horns. I cant find anything other than brass, so that was the choice i had. They will age nicely with use since it will always have my hands on them in area.

Got the forearm finished today. 3 hours of drilling,lubing,cutting nails and tapping them into place. My finger tips are very tender. A little bummed as the ramrod channel runs very close to the bottom of the forearm so I was unable to tack that section. I still have to do a pattern on the wrist section where my shooting hand rubs against the srock. I have a slick area there that I want a little more grip on. VERY happy with how it's turning out!

img_9910.jpg

img_9911.jpg

Jonathan, how did you mark the locations for the tacks?
Ron

I used masking tape down the middle of the stock sections i worked on. After that, just eye balled it.

Very nice job, looks great...... too many can make it look....tacky :D

I need to add 1 or 2 more rows of tacks for the palm of my hand on the longer section, but so far, its worked out wonderfully and feels great.
img_9914.jpg

img_9915.jpg

you did it right when you predrilled a slightly undersized hole then tapped the tack into the predrilled hole. i can see you take your time and can do detail. im going to challage you now and i think your up to it. ive layed out a nice elk head on the side of a gun i built on the back stock. it was on paper and i glued it to the stock. then marked on the lines perfectly where the holes should be drilled. i used a needle in a dremmel motor. then i too off the paper which was glued on lightly with water soulable glue, cleaned up the stock and then put the small tacks in the holes. a very nice elk head came out of it. also ive done brass wire and soft steel wire. useing the same layout method ive tapped short pieces of brass or softsteel wire into the holes and clipped them of with a wire cutters. then carefully fire them to the wood surface. then sand them to the same as the wood surface. this is for a stock that you are building or refinishing. then i just finish the stock. ive done a lot of lettering this way. it stays in the wood and looks great. ive done a running buck deer that way also. silver round wire can be used as pin point art also. keep going, you have a good start.

Latest posts

Back