T/C Speed Breech XT Thread pitch

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tadman

Reaction score
I am hoping that this information has been spoken of before...and I am either too dumb or impatient to research it more thoroughly. I just got off the phone with a completely unhelpful or even the least bit apologetic customer service representative from Thompson Center. I called them because I own a T/C Bone collector muzzleloader that I bought new from Cabelas 5-6 years ago. Through some neglect on my part, the breech plug became somewhat seized. To the point that I needed to use a vice and pipe wrench to remove it. Unfortunately, however, I turned the plug past the speed breech x/t 1/4 turn and found that the plug just spun in place until I put vice grips on it and tapped it out of the breech. I ordered a new breech plug (speed breech X/T for Triumph series) but have noticed that the threads appear to be rounded in the barrel. I haven't received the new breech plug yet, but I have a friend who has a machine shop and is willing to "touch up" or recut the existing threads in the barrel with a tap to see if the barrel can be salvaged. T/C customer service said that the thread pitch is proprietary and they would not give it to me. They said that their engineering department had it and that I could not have it. Would one of you possibly have the thread pitch and/or recommended tap size so that I could possibly recover from my own stupidity without buying anything else, ever, from T/C. Have been very loyal to T/C as I enjoy their products, but this kind of customer service is atrocious as far as I am concerned. Thanks for any help one of you might have.

The one I have has a triple start thread on it (hence the speed part of speed breech) to my knowledge that would be a specialty tap that your friend would need. Likely best to send it back to them unfortunately, it wouldn't be worth ordering a tap, even if you could figure out size and pitch on it.

I am hoping that this information has been spoken of before...and I am either too dumb or impatient to research it more thoroughly. I just got off the phone with a completely unhelpful or even the least bit apologetic customer service representative from Thompson Center. I called them because I own a T/C Bone collector muzzleloader that I bought new from Cabelas 5-6 years ago. Through some neglect on my part, the breech plug became somewhat seized. To the point that I needed to use a vice and pipe wrench to remove it. Unfortunately, however, I turned the plug past the speed breech x/t 1/4 turn and found that the plug just spun in place until I put vice grips on it and tapped it out of the breech. I ordered a new breech plug (speed breech X/T for Triumph series) but have noticed that the threads appear to be rounded in the barrel. I haven't received the new breech plug yet, but I have a friend who has a machine shop and is willing to "touch up" or recut the existing threads in the barrel with a tap to see if the barrel can be salvaged. T/C customer service said that the thread pitch is proprietary and they would not give it to me. They said that their engineering department had it and that I could not have it. Would one of you possibly have the thread pitch and/or recommended tap size so that I could possibly recover from my own stupidity without buying anything else, ever, from T/C. Have been very loyal to T/C as I enjoy their products, but this kind of customer service is atrocious as far as I am concerned. Thanks for any help one of you might have.
Sounds like to me the top of the threads are already too far gone . Youd be cutting it but theyre already too short . Kinda like sawing off a 50in board when you need 55 inches , no point in that .
Your buddy with the machine shop may just have to make you a new plug custom and redo the barrel or buy another barrel . I think its decision time . Sorry but theres not much else to be done id say . Truthfully a new barrel is the easiest . Pre-- head spaced too . Theres alot to trying to salvage that one .

Last edited:
Back