Question on touching up the finish on my Omega's barrel...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cajun

Reaction score
I have a blued barrel, that actually looks black. I got a few scratches from my last two hunting seasons from rubbing against rock. Any idea on what product to use to touch them up?

cajun

I got a Wolf I am fixing up for my Bro-in-law. I t had rust spots on the exterior of the blued barrel. I sanded and steel wooled it down to bare metal, degreased and then used 500 degree black engine paint on it. After letting it dry I put it in an oven at 200 degrees for 2 hours. Brought it out waited to cool and sprayed it lightly again and a little heavier on spots that were light form the first coat. I baked again for 2 hours and 200 degrees. Actually came out nice looking, a litlle shiny but i can dul that down w/ flat spray paint coat anytime. I am interested to see if this works and will hold up as it will be a brush gun. I assume if you are showing wear on that particular area of the barrel it will always show wear, so a psssst of spray paint might be the answer. Again this is a brush gun he will never sell and we are screwing around w/ paints to see what will happen.

For a complete refinish, I have use rustoleum automotive primer. It is a very matte grey, but if you use some 0000 steel wool on it, very lightly after 3-4 weeks of cure time, it looks a lot like a blued gun. I just touch it up where needed every year. Make sure you let any spray on paint cure for as long as possible. And make sure it is completely degreased to start with.

Cajun

I would use or I do use a cold blue to touch up scratches and wear marks on my blued guns.

One thing I do to get a deeper finish/color is I heat the blue in a micro wave and I warm the spot of application with a hair dryer. I also appiy multiple coats of blueing. Blue is nothing more than a rusting process the longer you let it work the deeper the blue.

As the other folks have said make sure you clean and remove all the old oils and the use of 000 steel at the end is a must.

Birchwood Casey makes a very good cold blue either the liquid or the paste.

The blued barrel in this picture has been completely reblued with this process. One not cold blueing is not as durable as a profession hot blue.

HawkRene.jpg

Thanks for the input. It's just a few small scratches. I'm definitly not refinishing the barrel. I'll try those spots after degreasing and use cold blue. I'm not going to hit it with steel wool in fear of messing up a larger area.

If you want a durable finish that holds up VERY well to the elements, check out www.molyresin.com. I use it on my cartridge guns and its a great product. My one 870 shotty was done with it several years ago and its still holding up great after about 3-4 years of abuse during deer season, summer coyote hunting, etc...

002-6.jpg

And here isa Sig P6 I redid as well.
013-1-1.jpg

All together I have done around a dozen handguns and shotguns for myself and friends. Try it, you will love it!

Latest posts

Back