T/C 50 Black Diamond XR questions???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mossback

Reaction score
I live in Oregon and want to revamp my gun...I have to use iron sights and #11 caps. I want to know what the best nipple, cap and powder combo would be? I had three miss fires two years ago that cost me a dandy 4 point!!! What iron sights, peep or globe sight would work...I'm thinking about some Bullshop conicals also! I want to start from square one and do it right...Thank you in advance!

First off, that's a great rifle. I own one. I do admit I use the 209 primers over the #11 but that's because they are legal to use. The nipple for #11 caps screws into the breech plug so get yourself a stainless steel T/C shot shot nipple. Also be very fussy about the caps you use. I like CCI MAGNUM, or better 1075 RWS Dynamite Noble. These are two very hot caps. If I can not get them I will use Remington caps but I refuse to buy CCI standard #11 caps. I had more misfires with them then any other cap I have ever used.

Since you have to use a #11 cap then get a easy to ignite powder. The best is of course real Black Powder if you can get it. If you are going to shoot conicals then get some of the 3f in Goex or Swiss. The reason for the black powder is some of the other powders can get fussy in damp weather. Pyrodex RS does have issues sometimes in damp weather, and APP sucks moisture from the air some claim. Triple Se7en 3f would be another choice but when the chips are down, and I want the gun to go off, give me black powder every time.

noexcuses.jpg

This is what my Black Diamond XR will do in damp weather with No Excuses 460 grain conicals and Goex 3f black powder. I did not swab between shots. The conicals are a .503 diameter. Bull Shop makes the same conical. Just tell him you want some in .503 or order some of the No Excuses. Both are great conicals.

I later learned that what I paced off to be 100 yards was actually 89 yards (according to my new range finder) but still this is not bad. And my rifle is scoped. I was getting set to go and hunt a thicket that day and was loaded with some 375 grain Buffalo Bullet SSB all lead sabot/projectile. In fact if you look at that picture you can see the one smaller hole. I had been field hunting that morning in the rain, so I unloaded the SSB and then reloaded and tested some of the conicals before the after noon hunt.

They do make a peep sight for the Black Diamond XR. Check with T/C. Remember, peep sights can get a little hard in low light, but they are very accurate. I have a T/C Peep on a Renegade I shoot also. Very accurate rifle. Try the fiber optics and see if they will work for you. There are also other companies, Tru Glo, Williams, and RMC that make peep sights that might work for you as well.

Also, let me take this opportunity to welcome you to the forum. It is great to have you here. There are a great bunch of people here and tons of information.

Thank you Cayuga!!! I'm not able to use fiber optics in Oregon...Do I have to modify my gun to use a t/c peep sight? I have some Pyrodex P is it a good powder?

Musket caps

I know you said you had to use #11 caps, but can you use musket caps as well?That would be extremely restrictive, or is it that you can't use 209's? Anyway, get a tough cap as my BD absolutely destroys #11's.Many times all that was left of the por cap was a small disc over the nipple aperture.Muskets dont have that problem. The 11's were CCI's and Remington's btw. Regarding the peep sight, I put a Savage 1919 NRA target rifle sight on mine.They are available from used sight dealers, they are expensive though, I paid $85 for mine but the machined version is a superb instrument.It fits like it was made for the rifle and loks great! Welcome to the forum and best of luck! I'm a new Black Diamond .50 XR owner too! Fantastic rifles!

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=182157 I believe you can remove the rear fiber optic sights and simply put this peep in its place. I personally have never used it, but I have seen one. As for the front sight, look for any standard front sight that could take the place. Would dipping the fiber rod in paint so it can not glow, make it legal?

Pyrodex P is a great powder. It goes off real easy for me. As for the #11 caps, they have never given me problems in the ignition department. And where I hunt is snow and rain most the time. With Pyrodex if you shoot the rifle be sure to clean the rifle that night. With good caps I shoot all day. As for the #11 cap blowing apart, they are actually supposed to do that I believe. That is the reason for the side hole in a hot shot nipple, to expand the spent cap to make them easier to remove.

Musket nipple work good also. But unless I pinch the musket cap a little I have problems with them falling off. So on most all rifles I stick wiht a #11 cap. I do shoot a T/C Black Mountain Magnum with musket caps.

Where can I find the RWS 1075 at online? Is the T/C firestorm nipples any good in #11 or musket cap. The last hang fires I had were with cci musket caps...For some reason I thought that #11 were better. I have a hot shot nipple #11 on the way also. I don't know if this is ok, can I mix say 10g of Swiss in with my Pyrodex P or is that a no-no??? I would rather my gun go off and miss than to hang up again!!!!!!!Nightmares

mossback said:
Where can I find the RWS 1075 at online? Is the T/C firestorm nipples any good in #11 or musket cap. The last hang fires I had were with cci musket caps...For some reason I thought that #11 were better. I have a hot shot nipple #11 on the way also. I don't know if this is ok, can I mix say 10g of Swiss in with my Pyrodex P or is that a no-no??? I would rather my gun go off and miss than to hang up again!!!!!!!Nightmares

CCI makes two kinds of caps they make a standard and a magnum. The CCI standard caps do not work real well for me. Their magnum caps on the other hand work real well. They Dynamite Noble are getting hard to find. The last time I came across them I bought 20 tins of them.

The #11 caps and the musket caps throw approximately the same flame temperature into the breech although the muskets throw a little bit more flame. Still a good powder and a #11 cap is all I use in most my inline rifles.

Can you duplex Pyrodex P... yep sure can. Dump 10-20 grains of Swiss, and tap the butt of the rifle on your shoe to level the load, then adjust your Pyrodex for the fact you have black powder in there, and load accordingly. Test a few loads on the range. You will see they work just fine. But normally if you prepare that rifle, they go off.

That hot shot nipple you have on the way should work just fine if the threads match up. If it was for a Knight or T/C it will work just fine in the breech plug.

Before you shoot your rifle next time, take a patch and lightly dampen it with isopropyl alcohol 91%. Now swab the oil out of the bore. After that, take a dry patch and swab the bore. With a dry patch still on the jag, push that down on an empty breech and put a #11 cap on the nipple and fire that off. Pull the patch and check it. There should be a burn mark on it. If not, put a new patch on and do the same thing. Normally by the second time, the breech is cleared and it will show burn marks on the patch the second time around.

Once you have burn marks on the patch, pop one more #11 cap. This carbons the plug. Now load your Pyrodex P and try that. I've hunted all day with it and never had a problem. A #11 cap is a lot more water proof then you might think. If you have to sit in the woods, put a small piece of plastic over the open breech to shed any water or snow away from that area. Over the muzzle, you can put a ballon, a muzzle mit, or a finger cot over the end of the barrel to keep any water out from that end. Also you can shoot right through that.

If you have a dry rifle to start with, and you load on a dry rifle and hunt all day with a dry rifle, there is no reason it should not go off...

Wow...Thank you for all the info. The only problem left is a great set of iron sights...I can't find the Savage 19 nra sights. I don't mind spending some money on a set great iron sights...Thank you and I love this forum...

Perhaps give T/C a call and ask them what iron sights they have would fit that rifle. Some of the traditional rifles with round barrels have iron sights, like the New Englander and Penn Hunter. I wonder if they would fit the Black Diamond. They could tell you, or tell you what iron sight would fit the rifle.

One last question...I can't decide between the No Excuses 460g or the Bull Shop 460g for deer?

If you order the Bull Shop in .503 they are basically the same thing as the No Excuses. The difference is the cost. The Bull Shop is more cost effective. You might also want to get some bore buttons to put under them.

Is your laws simply conicals or can you shoot an all lead sabot bullet?

No jacketed, sabots and bullets with plastic or sythetic bases...You can use cloth, felt or paper patches. One more thing you can't have is a conical twice the bore diameter. What is a bore button?

wonderwad2.jpg

Bore Buttons, Wonder Wads, Wads, they go by lots of names. You put your powder down the barrel and then push a wad on top of the powder charge. This creates a gas seal of sorts, and protects the bottom of the conical from the hot ignition gas.

Batchchief gave me a name address and phone number of Flintlock Inc. in Indiana and they make some excellent unlubed wads. They are .510 felt, and go right down the barrel.

You can make your own with a hollow hole punch http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... umber=3838 and some construction felt made of 100% wool. You just punch them out with a 1/2 or 9/16th hollow hole punch. You can lube them or not lube them the choice is yours.

Track of the Wolf also sells bore buttons in a vegetable fiber and they also work real well...

Sometimes your rifle shoots better with them, sometimes it makes no differerence. Some of my rifles like my Whites like them while some of my rifles shoot better without them.

Latest posts

Back