Surprise hunt.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Reaction score
Ok well I did know I had tags, but I did NOT think I'd be hunting.

Our Firearms season started Friday but I didn't have permission to hunt on my father in law's ground so I stayed home. Yesterday morning my wife called and said that her dad had changed his mind and would let me hunt. I think one of his friends changed his mind. Well I went looking for my gear and my hunting clothes and threw them in the washer since I hadn't bothered after I got back from Indiana. I then found out that I didn't have my son's booster seat so I had to wait until my wife got home from work.

I saw 2 deer yesterday. One nice buck that I kicked up going in and a doe about 5 minutes after legal hunting hours. Here in Illinois we are allowed to hunt only till sunset during gun seasons. Had this been Indiana I would have had that doe since they are allowed to hunt until 30 minutes after sunset.

Going in this morning I almost hit a hoss with my car. He was HUGE! He was also very close to where I was hunting. I think I kicked him up as I was going in since it sounded like a horse galloping away from me. Unfortuantely I did not see him again. I did see a big buck through a thicket but had no shot. I ended up shooting a button buck at about 50 yds from where I was sitting.
hunt.jpg

I got my deer cart from the car and hauled him out. As I neared my car I saw a big doe standing broadside 100 yds away. Since I had my gun loaded except for cap I set the cart down and emptied my pockets till I found my cap. She worked towards my left but I still had a shot so I got down and set out my bipod and still had a clear shot. As I settled the crosshairs on here she moved to where I couldn't see vitals. Then I noticed the second deer following her and as soon as I had a shot took it.
bucks.jpg

Not a bad morning. I'd have held on to my either sex tag but after first season (3 days-ends today) second season is rough. It's only 4 days too and I wasn't sure if my permission would hold then either. So I took the second shot I was offered and ended up with 2 button bucks. I used my Disc Extreme .50 with 2-7X32 3200 and 100 gr ffg 777 (80 gr. by weight) and a 260 Platinum tip.

By the way, that little cart is HANDY! :D It was worth the investment.

Hey Patrick,

That ought to fill-up that ol' freezer. Good shootin' :lol: .

I'm not back in the woods 'till muzzleloader season opens here in Missouri. My freezer has one in it now and it was about full before that.

With those two plus the one from Indiana and all the deer I've been given, we've got 8 for the freezer. May get a couple more yet given to me. They'll be gone by June or July and I'll be hungry for deer again. My wife and I will eat every bit of it. :D

big6x6 said:
Way to GO Patrick! Your freezer is full for SURE! :D

My little one is. Still will have plenty of room in my big one even after these. :wink: Even if I fill it I'll still have room for a hog. I'll eat it down enough by April. :shock:

Way to go Patrick!!! Man, that looks like fun!! I can't wait!!

Looks like some mighty fine tender vittles there Patrick... You're making this VENISONEATR'S mouth water :D

The younger deer do make much better eating. I don't intentionally shoot em but I don't mind getting them. They eat better than anything else even though there's not as much meat.

I used my Disc Extreme .50 with 2-7X32 3200 and 100 gr ffg 777 (80 gr. by weight) and a 260 Platinum tip.

OBVIOUSLY that still works pretty good! That Disc Extreme is still a great rifle and STILL will handle MOST hunting situations.

big6x6 said:
I used my Disc Extreme .50 with 2-7X32 3200 and 100 gr ffg 777 (80 gr. by weight) and a 260 Platinum tip.

OBVIOUSLY that still works pretty good! That Disc Extreme is still a great rifle and STILL will handle MOST hunting situations.

Yep. After yesterday I thought back and discovered the Extreme has killed most of my deer. Out of the 13 deer I've gotten since '97 (well 2000 first successful year), 8 of them with the Disc Extreme and all but one of those was with Platinum tips. The one that I did not use Platinum tips on was my one and only adult buck with Barnes 250 MZ.

Patrick, ever think maybe your FIL is reluctant about you hunting because you are a mad-dog killin' mochine? :wink:

Congrats on some good shootin'.

Underclocked said:
Patrick, ever think maybe your FIL is reluctant about you hunting because you are a mad-dog killin' mochine? :wink:

Congrats on some good shootin'.

:lol: Yeah right. I usually just do the best I can and am not real picky about what I take. Some of the guys around here won't take anything unless it's a buck of 140 or so. They do this before they will bother with a doe. I just prefer to shoot something for the freezer. A rack's nice but it's not why I hunt. If I ever got one good buck to do a shoulder mount on I'd be happy.

I'm very happy for you, Patrick! It looks like things might lighten up between you two. Lets hope.

Congrats on the deer. They will make great spagetti and chili this winter for your family. Looks like the new cart got christened! don't forget to take it to the car wash. :lol:

Back