Super91 & 496 FirePlug Scores!!! (a 'yote addendum)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatland hunter

Reaction score
I posted this on the DWB site and figured I would post it here as well:

Big Buck Hunt, November 18, 2005, 3:45 pm

Friday, November 18 was opening day for IL hunters? it was a cold day to begin with but it was also filled with great anticipation. Having done pre-season scouting and set up several stand locations, I felt ready for the opener.

I was in my climber and set by 5:45 am overlooking a bean field from the southwest corner. I had my .504 Super 91 ready to rock with a BatChief 496gn FirePlug sitting on 85gn of 777 ffg and a veg wad. Didn?t see much at first but starting 6:45 am I saw several does? saw one that was running hard (panting heavily) and thought that maybe a buck was pushing her. I didn?t realize until she was almost passed that she was hit on her left front leg. I would have take her down had I been more observant but she passed into the field edge woods to quickly.

The wind started to pick up and it got colder, about 8:30 am I had had enough of the wind and climbed down. I went and sat on another field in a ladder stand. Ate brunch and the wind shifted? this stand was no longer good to sit in. I went back to my original stand and was set at 11 am. At 11:15 am I see a doe and a small buck leave the field edge trees about 400 yds away? grunting does nothing to turn them my way.

I watch them for the next 20 minutes, now about 800 yds away. My first thought was to stalk them but I argued with myself about myself putting on a stalk. I stayed put and watched them cross the field going north. At that field edge the big buck I had spotted a couple of weeks back joins them? yippee!! I watch them feed along that edge for 30 minutes and then one by one they disappear into the brush on the north end of the field. The big boy vanishes last, right next to a dead fall. I consider getting down again? guessing that he is just bedded down. I argue with myself about myself getting down and I win the argument again.

So I sat in that tree until 3:15 pm with nothing to look at and then it happens? he reappears on the field edge right by the dead fall. It takes him 15 minutes to meander south across the field and enter the south edge wood line approx 400 yds away (the same area the other buck came from). No amount of grunting could turn him? I knew where he was headed, to the south field. A large ditch (small river?) cuts the property in half and he was going to cross the ditch to meet up with the does that come out to feed there.

I decide that there is the slim possibility that he will still come towards me on my side of the ditch because there is about five people (one family) sitting on that field. I decide to wait until 3:45 pm before crawling down out of the tree to see if he crossed the ditch and is now heading this way but on the other bank. At 3:45 I unbuckle my climber from the tree, get my feet strapped into it, and get ready to lower my Super91 (I waited until the last moment to lower it down)? I glance up and there he is trotting on the opposite bank of the ditch (he had obviously winded the family) and was about to pass out of my very limited shooting lane.

At this point? I PANIC!!! I immediately grunt, he stops and looks directly at me, my 91 is pointing the wrong way and the secondary safety is on (as I was getting prepared to decap, thank God I hadn?t), I undo the secondary and primary safeties, shoulder the 91, it dawns on me that I can?t turn or get settled into a better shooting position because my feet are strapped into the climber (he was just off the back side of my right shoulder and I shoot right handed), I settle the cross hairs just behind his shoulder and can?t figure out why he is so small, aagghhh, I am on 1.5x, so I pull off of him like a dummy and see if I can dial it up, forget it, 1.5x it is, I settle just behind the shoulder, remember the range to that bank is 86 yds, no adjustments needed, I just can?t get comfortable, he takes a step, I grunt again, settle and fire!! I have yet to hear a thwack on a deer and today was no different? maybe I just get to excited, who knows? At the shot I see the deer turn and run full tilt straight south into the south field, his tail is down so I know I hit him? the question now is, how well?

Shortening a long story? I found hair, pink frothy blood and lung pieces, dark blood and liver pieces where he was standing. 10 yards away I found stomach material. Everything was small drib drabs and hard to track until I got 30 yds into the south field and then there was stomach material all over the left side and some lung stuff occasionally on the right side of the trail. The field was filled with corn stalks which made it hard to see where he might have fallen? I did find him though, about 150 yds from the initial hit. The rack is bigger than I initially thought; I think it will be my 2nd biggest...

Pics:

Super91496FirePlug051119i.jpg

Sat map of area and locations.

Super91496FirePlug051119a.jpg

Me and the buck.

Super91496FirePlug051119b.jpg

Close up of the buck.

Super91496FirePlug051119c1.jpg

Buck and the reason it met it's maker.

Super91496FirePlug051119d.jpg

Trajectory through the buck, started just behind the right shoulder.

Super91496FirePlug051119e1.jpg

Entry

Super91496FirePlug051119f.jpg

Exit

Super91496FirePlug051119g.jpg

Entry

Super91496FirePlug051119h.jpg

Exit

Other than the sticker this is the most symetrical rack I have gotten. It also has a hole at the base of one of the brow tines. He is know at the processors, snack sticks , jerky, brats, chops, steaks, and burger will be had from the big fella! He weighed right at 160 dressed.

Post mortem showed that the right lung, liver, and the guts were hit. My wife said I watch too much CSI when she saw that I was sticking that broom handle into the entry and exit wounds. The exit was definitely bigger. I had to slice the hide a bit on the entry side.

It did not register that he was standing at an angle instead of broadside. Had you asked me immediately following the shot I would have said broadside. Everything seemed to happen so quickly!

Gutting him out was a bit more smelly than usual, but I at least got to gut something out... He is my second largest rack but is the widest rack if that makes any sense.

Just to let you know what a praying wife can do for you... I called her from the stand after seeing this buck and the small buck bed down and told her about them. Later that afternoon she was sitting at the computer and prayed that I would get the big buck. She prayed that prayer at 3:40 pm and I shot the buck at 3:45 pm. I got my biggest buck 5 minutes after she prayed 3 years ago. I keep telling her she needs to pray for the big bucks for me more often!

Good luck to those still hunting! I have one more tag to fill either in the 2nd season or ML.

Congrats on the buck! Good thing Bat came through for ya with some LEAD!!! 8) Guess the Elite will have to sit around for another year??

Good Job Robbie! :yeah:

btw... I gotta ask before UC does - What kind of gun shoots broom handles??? How many grains are one of those?

The wife sais I watch to much CSI :D The exit was larger than the entry... so it was easier to get the handle through the exit, I had to cut the hide a bit on the entry.

That's a really nice deer there Robbie! I don't see how that deer went that far. A LITTLE back from PERFECT but man..You HAD to have gotten the lungs on that shot!. I don't see how he went 150yds. Sometimes they are just TOUGH and sometimes they go down and don't even twitch. Great going!

flatland hunter said:
The wife sais I watch to much CSI

I was thinking the same thing!! Very good for reporting terminal ballistics though. Congrats on a NICE buck :partyman:

Thanks for the kind words fellas...

Got the right lung, liver, and a lot of the gut... my heart sunk when I saw the gut material on the ground and corn stalks. Thankfully I saw lung material as well. That kept my spirit up.

He is my widest racked buck, but not the biggest... I just didn't realize how big he actually was. I had been watching him for several weeks, but from a long distance away.

I hunt a friends farm and his father always seems to have a negative comment about any of the deer I take... no comments this time, other than "he sure looks old". :D

Most of the time he is complaining that it would have been bigger next year :wink: .

Quick story...

It was a beautifully cold Saturday morning... the wind was blowing in from the east which sets up real good for my tree stand.

I arrived on site running late. I only had 30 minutes to get in the tree and settled before first shots could be fired. I pack in quite a bit because I want to be comfortable while on stand... I can stay longer that way! After climbing the tree and setting up the EZ Hanger for the S91 and getting everything locked down I was set with about 15 minutes to go until first shooting light, 1/2 an hour before sun up.

What a beautiful day! Overcast, bitterly cold wind! Perfect!

I am sitting the same stand I have pictured on the map.

Right at shooting light a buck comes running in the tree line on the south edge of the field, coming from the SE. He crosses the little drainage ditch just 25 yards south of me. I grunt to get him to stop so I can assess whether I want to shoot him. 6-point, I will pass. I still have 5 days of hunting left and 1 tag. He moves on.

I then begin to wonder why he was moving so fast... out into the field to my SE steps my answer... a 'yote!. He looks around and then starts trotting north into the field... NOW I am really excited! I haven't even seen a coyote this year.

I get my 91 off of the EZ Hanger, dial up the power to 6 on my Sightron SII 1.5-6 and get on him. I am witing for him to stop... come on buddy STOP!! I guesstimate he is around 150 yds from me... and then the magical moment happens! He STOPS!!! I settle the crosshairs just above his back, right behind his shoulders... baawhoom!!

As the smoke blows back into my face I inhale deeply the sweet aroma of 777... and immediately begin to cough and hack!! BUT the 'yote is down... YES!!

After about 30 seconds he attempts to get back up and his back end isn't working... He didn't go any where. I broke his back and got the front end of his gut area. Death was not swift but death did come... my hunting buddy checked him out and made sure he was dead with a neck shot. My shot hit about 2-3 inches below the back line.

The 'yote didn't really mess up the hunt because within about 45 minutes a train of does and yearlings streemed by... 5 peeled off to go look at the 'yote, they approached within about 25 yds and started stamping and head faking to get him to move.

The shot was lasered at 149 yards. My 91 hits about 4" low at 149. So Twangers formula and the ballistic program are both on! Both have worked well for me the last two years.

On Sunday my 11 yr old girl went hunting in the afternoon with me... we saw 7 deer, 2 hoot owls and she got to shoot the 'yote with my 91. I was so excited she wanted to unload my gun by shooting it I really didn't think it thru... a .504 S91, 496gn FirePlug, 85gn 777 2f. The scope got her right above the eyebrow :'(. After some tears and an examination of the bump... full face mask helped there. We excitedly looked at the 'yote... drilled it dead center!!

Next time she shoots she wants something more her size... I will have to work on that over the summer! The good thing is she wants to go out with me again next week!!

Nice stories. And a really nice deer by the way. I hope he is going on your wall! :wink:

Latest posts

Back