Let the testing begin... Hogs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWThomas

Reaction score
I got back from FL on Saturday and yesterday was my first opportunity to check my trail camera. After only a week I had 213 pictures of hogs. They aren't very big at all in comparison to some that I've taken but they're good eating sized hogs. I'd estimate the largest one to be around 150 pounds, maybe a hair more. I'm planning to take my daughter out there Wednesday evening and do a little ground blind muzzleloader hunting. The ground blind is approximately 80 yards from the feeder. I haven't ranged it yet but I will Wednesday. I have a tree stand set up behind the blind that is exactly 100 yards so that will be a good test for another day.... Maybe next week....

I currently have the following:

275g PBE's
300g Hornaday XTP's (.45)
350g Hornaday FPB's
250g Shockwaves
250g Barnes T-EZ's
290g Barnes T-EZ's
285g Barnes TMZ's.

I'm open to any suggestions of what you all would like to see based on what I have. All I use is BH209 but I can vary powder charges if anyone wants to see something specific. I'll be using my T/C Encore Endeavor being that it's the only ML I have right now.

Here's a pic of the boar I'm going after Wednesday. The group that's with him seem to frequent my feeder consistently...

CDY_0039.jpg

Let me know what you guys think and I'll try to make it happen. I plan to post plenty of pics of what the bullet does to the hog and any recovered bullets.

excellent pictures and it looks like a great opportunity to score some pork. Good luck in your hog hunt.

275g PBE's

I am interested in these 2 bullets over 110 grain of BH209.

250 grain shockwaves, don't care how much powder. Just wanna see how much damage they do.

Noted. Right now the front-runner is the Hornaday FPB over on HNI. I'll more than likely use that tomorrow evening. But the rest of these bullets will eventually get used on these hogs.

My buddy and I are heading out there in about an hour. He will be using the Remington Genesis I sold him stuffed with 100g BH209 and a 300g Hornaday XTP .44cal. If we get one I'll make sure to post some pics of what the XTP does to the hog and a story of the hunt.

i like the blonde porkies.

Are you going to test some powderbelts or be willing to? I'd love to send some of my inserts to you to plug up the 295+ PB and see how it does. Hunting seasons a long way off and some info and pics would be great to see.

Man, reading your post and seeing that picture has me pumped up with excitment to see some results. I was one of the FPB suggesters. I plan on elk hunting with a FPB over 85 gr. of BH209. GOOD LUCK!!!

flint head said:
Are they comming to the feeder during daylight Spencer?

Yup. They came in right at 7:30PM last night. That pic is just one of a bunch. I have a lot of daylight pics of them. Some are even at 6PM-ish.

Well we tried last night and we boogered. My buddy took a shot at one of the smaller black ones and he missed. He said he felt the shot was good but I watched the hog through my binos and it didn't appear to be hit. Looked for blood and nothing. Maybe next time.

I can't go tomorrow because my wife has duty but my buddy and I are going to go back Thursday evening. He wants to redeem himself. We'll try for a double and I'll test the FPB then. :wink:

275g PBE's
350g Hornaday FPB's
250g Shockwaves
250g Barnes T-EZ's
290g Barnes T-EZ's
285g Barnes TMZ's.

I vote for the FPB. Next up is the 250gr Shockwave to show folks how inadequate it is! :wink:

big6x6 said:

275g PBE's
350g Hornaday FPB's
250g Shockwaves
250g Barnes T-EZ's
290g Barnes T-EZ's
285g Barnes TMZ's.

I vote for the FPB. Next up is the 250gr Shockwave to show folks how inadequate it is! :wink:

Haha Chuck! Roger that. The FPB is the clear winner in what a lot of people want to see. I'll be sighting the Endeavor in with them today and will give it a go Thursday evening.

big6x6 said:

275g PBE's
350g Hornaday FPB's
250g Shockwaves
250g Barnes T-EZ's
290g Barnes T-EZ's
285g Barnes TMZ's.

why do you say that? thats the bullet that flies best from my barrel. Does it have performance issues?

OptimaAndy said:
why do you say that? thats the bullet that flies best from my barrel. Does it have performance issues?

He was being sarcastic. Notice the winky eye smilie at the end. :wink:

SWThomas said:
OptimaAndy said:

He was being sarcastic. Notice the winky eye smilie at the end. :wink:

oh yah, cool. I was worried there for a minute :lol:

We're suppose to get horrible weather here tomorrow and Friday. But I'm planning to brave the elements and go hunting anyway. After all, the porker I shot just 200 yards from my location was taken in the pouring rain. If something comes up and I can't make it tomorrow, Saturday is looking mighty fine weather wise.

I promise I will knock one over with an FPB and post the results as soon as I can. Then the SW will be next on the list. And then more than likely the PBE.

Latest posts

Back