Some pics of the SOCOMs in action

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
These are the Barnes 458 SOCOMs in my GMB54 using 120gr and a Harvester 54x45 sabot.

Some internals that came out of the deer. It was found just behind the impact area and looked like part of a lung?
SOCOMtrail.jpg

Exit--------Entry
SOCOMInOut.jpg

Heart after a .458 300gr SOCOM
DoeHeart.jpg

Heart after a 50-300 FTX
ButtonHeart.jpg

Both hearts
BothHearts.jpg

The bottom one fell to the SOCOM and the middle fell to the FTX..ignore the back blood spot
TagOut2.jpg

Ok now this is a Barnes 155gr TAC-XP i was modding by adding a 30gr lead BP 22cal bullet to the hollow point. They shot great on paper so we gave one a try.

Now this shot was over 150 yards away and my buddy never shot a ML this far but i instructed him to aim near the top of the shoulders but it flew a bit flatter than i thought. Besides being high it performed perfect and hit where he claimed he was aiming.

The doe dropped instantly and its easy to see why.

It entered the doe's right side and exited the left.
Doe2Barnes185grMod2Exit.jpg

Ive got a few more bloody pics but thats plenty for me.

Awesome hunt. I tagged out for that area and still can go to work tomorrow IF i feel like it. :D

Knight.....BORN TO HUNT!!!!!!

I thought it was cool i/steve got one last chance with the Accura before the new owner picks it up. He was supposed to get it last week on Thursday so i had it in the car.

2 were DRT and 2 didnt go far. I was expecting a bit better for the solid heart shots though and the FTX felt like it broke the shoulder on exit.

Those modded TAC-XPs are insane on bone hits for sure. Now i need to get him my Elite ready and see if he will fill his buck tag with one and a heart/lung shot.

The FTX 50-300 performed extremely well also and i was pushing it harder than i usually do. My buddy messed up the body cavity pics of the FTX (i think).

I think i posted enough bloody pics. :p

I am definitely going to range test some of the modified TAC-XP's to see how they fly in my .45 Omega.

smyers717 said:
I am definitely going to range test some of the modified TAC-XP's to see how they fly in my .45 Omega.

Im pretty sure this was

MMP tan---modded TAC-XP 186gr total and 90gr BH209 at 90 yards.

ModdedBarnes40-155grTAC.jpg

I bumped up the that load to i think 105 or 110gr because i knew he wanted a bit more range and that is the load i use for the 185gr Lehighs.

Got lucky. :D

WT....., did someone (Not here) complain about the damage pics on photobucket?

They deleted a few for some reason.

EDIT: got them back up...lets see how long they last now.

Latest posts

Back