Shrinkage?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Sparhawk

Reaction score
I ordered a ball mould from www.ballmoulds.com. They explain that we have to allow for shrinkage when ordering. multiply the desired mould size by 1.005 for harder alloys and 1.007 for pure lead. Wanting a .498 ball, we decided on a .501 mould. However, after I cast a bit over 100 balls, I measured them and they didn't shrink. I tried shooting them with terrible results. I have contacted him and he said he would come up with a good price on making me a .498 like I wanted to start with.
Now, keep in mind that I am new to casting. But, do any of you know about shrinkage or how to achieve it? I ordered my lead off Ebay from a very popular salesman. He has 100% positive reviews and I read at least 100 positive reviews before purchasing. Several customers stated they checked the bhn and that it was indeed pure lead.
I am using the 4 lb Lee Casting pot and Lyman bottom pour ladle.
Is water quenching necessary?

Water does nothing! Pure lead may shrink some over time. But not what you want. Funny I just had this same conversation this AM. You can adjust the different thicknesses of your patch material. Now you have to buy another rifle for your new mould. Use what you wanted in the first place. Also your soft lead will bump up upon firing.

Water does nothing! Pure lead may shrink some over time. But not what you want. Funny I just had this same conversation this AM. You can adjust the different thicknesses of your patch material. Now you have to buy another rifle for your new mould. Use what you wanted in the first place. Also your soft lead will bump up upon firing.
I have being nice to him about it, but nice isn't working. His last email said he was figuring out a good price to make me what I wanted in the first place. I'm fixing to reply back to him to make me what I wanted and ship it to me without any price attached. And that I want it in the same time frame as a purchased one. What would you do?

Hopefully you purchased with a credit card so you can deny payment.

Hahaha, ok! Well if you agreed to purchase what he said, it's kinda hard but maybe he could swap you out or something. You might be able to find a 498 mold on ebay or elsewhere.

Hahaha, ok! Well if you agreed to purchase what he said, it's kinda hard but maybe he could swap you out or something. You might be able to find a 498 mold on ebay or elsewhere.
Sorry but the Shrinkage title got me laughing about this old Seinfeld episode. just couldn't resist. Please forgive me Sparhawk.

http://www.lasc.us/castbulletnotes.htm
This is a good read right here. Sounds like there was either a mis-communication or he screwed up your mold. There is some other good data out there on shrinkage if alloys. I have wasted a lot of time cutting a mold when I didn’t allow enough. Now I always allow plenty so the sizer can pick up the slack. Obviously doesn’t work with a round ball... what you shooting a .498 out of? Just curious.

Lyma
http://www.lasc.us/castbulletnotes.htm
This is a good read right here. Sounds like there was either a mis-communication or he screwed up your mold. There is some other good data out there on shrinkage if alloys. I have wasted a lot of time cutting a mold when I didn’t allow enough. Now I always allow plenty so the sizer can pick up the slack. Obviously doesn’t work with a round ball... what you shooting a .498 out of? Just curious.
Lyman Great Plains: 60 gns 3 f Goex, .015 patch, .498 ball. Shoot 1 inch groups at 50 yards consistently.

They mailed me a .498 and they covered the shipping. That was a good learning experience for me.

Back