Black horn 209 & Knight MK-85 w/209 conversion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scauper

Reaction score
I read the sticky on Black Horn 209 & what rifles are approved to shoot it in. I noticed that some Knight rifles ar OK to shoot BH209. I have a Knight MK-85 with the conversion plunger that allows me to shoot the 209 primers in the red plastic primer holders. Why can't I use BH 209 with this set up? Thanks.

It is because of the design of the action. The plunger style like the Wolverine, the Bighorn and the MK have the primers blow back at them. I shot some out of my Black Diamond XR which has the same kind of action and ended up picking a piece of 209 primer out of my forehead.

Stick with Pyrodex or Triple Seven or any of the other powders. It will work fine for you, and you will not have to worry about some of the habits of BlackHorn.

Hey Cayuga I may be missing something but according to to the "sticky" posted by Big 6x6 at the top of this forum he lists a knight wolverine with the 209 as a muzzleloader that can use Black Horn. I own both the mk and the wolverine and don't see much diff. in the hammer assemblies. If both use 209 primers and the red primer holders why would one be able to use it and not the other. I have no experience with that powder but was thinking about trying some in the future myself.

fliowa said:
Hey Cayuga I may be missing something but according to to the "sticky" posted by Big 6x6 at the top of this forum he lists a knight wolverine with the 209 as a muzzleloader that can use Black Horn. I own both the mk and the wolverine and don't see much diff. in the hammer assemblies. If both use 209 primers and the red primer holders why would one be able to use it and not the other. I have no experience with that powder but was thinking about trying some in the future myself.

I was thinking the same thing. Why shouldnt you use it in the MK85 but you can in the Wolverine?

Franksauto said:
fliowa said:

I was thinking the same thing. Why shouldnt you use it in the MK85 but you can in the Wolverine?

You can use it in the MK-85 with the 209 conversion, but you better be prepared for the primer shrapnel. I have also shot BH209 in Plunger style inlines, White M-98 Elite, MK-85 with the RFPJ conversion. With very light loads and light bullets it is not too bad, but if you want to shoot heavy powder loads or bullets, be prepared for the primers to come unglued.

Like cayuga said, he got a fragment stuck in his forehead, just think if that were your eye! If you try it wear safety/shooting glasses, goggles, face shield, or a combination of all three. I wouldn't recommend shooting it in the plunger guns for safety reasons.

I am not saying that the plunger style rifles will not set BlackHorn off. Mine set it off just fine. But after that chunk primer stuck in my forehead (it was hot too) I decided I did not want to risk that kind of thing. I had rifles I knew it would shoot in safely. If you want to shoot it off, Busta gave some good advise. Safety glasses would be at least a good idea.

I believe greatbasin has had success using the FPJ breechplug. I am only going by what I read as I have not tried it in my MK-85. The NFPJ breechplug to me does not look like a good option to me for this gun and as others have documented like Busta. Be safe if you decide to try it.

My wife has a Wolverine 209 youth model with the FPJ breech plug. We load it with 90grs of BH209 and a 295gr Powerbelt and Chedite primers and have had zero problems with it except it is a little dirty. We've shot probably 100 rounds out of it and the only time it didn't go off is when she didn't back the safety on the bolt out far enough causing it to not strike the primer. I would heed everyone's advice and wear eye protection if you decide to try it.

BH209 in MK-85 w/209 conversion

Not to ask a stupid question, but what is the difference between the FPJ & NFPJ breech plugs? I threw the box away that my conversion kit came in and I haven't a clue......the plunger face is recessed so when it strikes the primer the back part of the primer & red jacket is partially enclosed. If the primers are blown up, what does it do to the red jackets? Would covering the breech area with (electrical) tape be a measure to stop shrapnel from blowing back on the shooter? I am getting excellent accuracy with 95 grs T7 (72.5 grs on scale) with the Barnes MZ 300 & the 285 gr Barnes SBT bullets and am comfortable with shots out to 150 yds.
I'm not looking to get a powder/bullet combination that breaks 2000 fps.....I am looking for a powder that leaves little residue and less corrosive than T7. I would probably shoot more if I didn't have to put up with the hassle of having to swab & clean the bore between shots and the ensuing cleaning job before putting the gun away for the night.

Re: BH209 in MK-85 w/209 conversion

scauper said:
Not to ask a stupid question, but what is the difference between the FPJ & NFPJ breech plugs? I threw the box away that my conversion kit came in and I haven't a clue......the plunger face is recessed so when it strikes the primer the back part of the primer & red jacket is partially enclosed. If the primers are blown up, what does it do to the red jackets? Would covering the breech area with (electrical) tape be a measure to stop shrapnel from blowing back on the shooter? I am getting excellent accuracy with 95 grs T7 (72.5 grs on scale) with the Barnes MZ 300 & the 285 gr Barnes SBT bullets and am comfortable with shots out to 150 yds.
I'm not looking to get a powder/bullet combination that breaks 2000 fps.....I am looking for a powder that leaves little residue and less corrosive than T7. I would probably shoot more if I didn't have to put up with the hassle of having to swab & clean the bore between shots and the ensuing cleaning job before putting the gun away for the night.

The Red Plastic Jacket will give you a little added security over the 209 plugs that just use the bare 209 primer with BH209, but primers can and will still come apart in those as well.

One of the T/C leather breech covers that are held in place with velcro may offer you a little more protection. IMO, I would not shoot these plunger style inlines without some type of safety/shooting glasses as a minimum measure.

If you are looking for a powder that you don't have to clean/swab the barrel between shots, BH209 is IT! With your 285-300 gr bullets, you will also get a little more FPS with a comparable load of BH209 over 777 as well.

Latest posts

Back