Selling your wares and what you claim you paid when asked.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
SUBJECT: Selling your wares and what you claim you paid when asked.

This is a subject we all need to pay attention too, young or old.

Mad Irish Jack ODonnell and myself talk about this subject when one of us is moving out some gear no longer used. Mad Jack had just sold a cook pot here, sale fell through and another jumped on a good deal.

Good deal Mad Jack ... I started cleaning out about 10 years ago of everything not used at this point in my life. The wife could not believe what my stuff sold for (some items were 30-40 years old in very good used condition selling for double or triple of the original purchase price). At our ages we need to move everything that we don't use, get the money cause family members don't know crap about what our wares are worth and would either have thrown them out or give them away. $$$$ lost.

Had a friend that would buy an anitque rifle for a $1,000, when asked by his wife - he paid $100. When he died she sold a large collection for what she was told by her husband he paid. She got taken for over $100K or more when sold. The worst part one of his friends ripped his wife off then started selling the stuff at true value at gun shows in Denver. Once the word got out on his dealings he didn't sell another gun and disappeared from the shows and shoots. Bastard .....

Last edited:
I have all my gun info saved in several of the NRA log books, so my wife knows what to try and sell them for I have both bought and hope to get prices down for everything .That way she will at least know what to try to sell them for.

Don't hang onto the guns to the last minute. Your loved ones will get shafted by friends and scam artists.

Many years ago my wife and i went to the Lawton flea market very early. A lady had several nice shotguns on her table. Looked at the high grade Browning automatic with a price tag of $175. Informed the lady her guns were grossly underpriced and to put them in the trunk. The lady's late hubby had a huge collection of firearms, mostly shotguns.

Put the lady in contact with a friend who is an upscale dealer. My friend came, looked at the guns, agreed to appraise the collection and assist in selling the firearms. Many were sold at auctions. A Winchester model 21 sold for nearly $15,000. The lady received $80,000- $90,000 for her guns. i was rewarded with a nice old Remington side hammer double.

We talk about this and what has to be done. We really intend to do as mentioned and then forget about it and it becomes to late - lights out. Wake up guys, age has nothing to do with this, you can be in your 30's or 80's no-one has a handle on how long we'll be here .....

A good friend of mine passed a couple of years ago and his wife called me what do i do? Her friends had her upset about keeping his firearms after his passing. NY is not a gun friendly state. Fortunately i know a honest dealer that doesnt hose folks. We came to a agreement that she was happy with. He asked me if i was interested in any and he would just do the paperwork. Good man. I declined because i just wanted to help a friend. What did i get out of it? Great satisfaction that she was relieved of the burden and respect from the family and friends. You never can go wrong doing the right thing.

I declined because i just wanted to help a friend. What did i get out of it? Great satisfaction that she was relieved of the burden and respect from the family and friends. You never can go wrong doing the right thing.

That's the way good friends should be treated, thanks for sharing. :thumbs up:

A good friend of mine passed a couple of years ago and his wife called me what do i do? Her friends had her upset about keeping his firearms after his passing. NY is not a gun friendly state. Fortunately i know a honest dealer that doesnt hose folks. We came to a agreement that she was happy with. He asked me if i was interested in any and he would just do the paperwork. Good man. I declined because i just wanted to help a friend. What did i get out of it? Great satisfaction that she was relieved of the burden and respect from the family and friends. You never can go wrong doing the right thing.
Bingo, a good deed, respect.of others,and self respect is priceless.

Back