My cast 452's are flying at high speed

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rks1949

Reaction score
Well through much effort,I've finally got my cast bullet shooting great! I started out with 100gr. 777,and got the left high group. Then I stepped it up to 110grs.777,and shot the left center group. Things started to look up. Then I went to 120grs.777,and shot the right group,holding on the lower bullet hole. Now I'm a happy camper,there was a cross wind comming from the right,but it wasn't much(maybe 3-5mph.) I did recover a couple of slugs from the sand bank 40yds. behind the target. They really expanded well. I also used MMP short Black sabots for all shots. On a side note: I took my wife,afriend,and another friend first gun season. They all shot bucks,and I never had a shot. Today at the range a nice doe walked out and behind the target,and stood there,until I yelled at her. Go Figure :? Ron
-1.jpg
Expansion003.jpg
I guess the knurling on the bullets helps also,you can see that there wasn't any slipping inside the sabot by the impression on the sabot.
sabot.jpg

Those are really doing well... and with a good powerful load behind them. They look like a great hunting load and would be fun to play with as well.

Nice cast bullets

Please share with us the rifle you shot your excellent groups with and the
mould you are using.

Choc-dog

I've done allot of research,and have found that,if you want to push a bullet in a sabot hard,the sabot can't be too thick,in other words,the thinner the better. I think some of the guy's with the Savages tried to shoot .430 diamenter bullets in a 50 bore,and got the same results. .452 and up is the magic size to use for hot loads. These were sized to .452,then knurled(rolled over a file with a wood block on top). Ok, the bullets are from a Lee mold #34307 90358 452-255-RF I cast them using 3parts hard lead,to 7 parts soft lead. I think with the velocity I'm pushing them,a 50/50 mix might be better. The powder was 120grs.777,a Cheddite 209 primer. The gun is a prohunter. I almost for got the sabots are, MMP 50cal/Black/for .451-.452 Diameter bullets. Part #37096 50045. This load,loads easy,and shoots great. Dave mentioned that he dosen't resize his bullets. I cast some more,and didn't resize them,just knurled them. They came out at .454. I'll try them out as a tight bullet ussually shoots better(not sure if I can improve on this bullet though). The first two pm's I get. I will send a few(10 bullets,and sabots to try out). I'm intrested in seeing how they will work in other guns. Pm me for details. Ron :)

I got to shoot a little more today. I wanted to compare the new cast bullet to the SW. I shot at 200yds. The first shot was with the SW and 110grs. 777. It hit the milk jug,and blew a nice entrance hole,while making a exit hole the size of a golf ball. Next I shot the cast .542-255gr. bullet with a charge of 120grs. 777. I couldn't believe the sound of it hitting the jug,it sounded like someone hitting a board on the side of a tree! :shock: ! I went down range and retrieved the jug,it had a 2 inch wide section holding it together. There was a entrance hole,but the rest of the jug was blown apart,I couldn't tell where it exited. I can't believe the cast bullet did more damage than the SW,but it sure did! Also according to the program I've been using,the bullet should have struck the jug low (supposed to drop,9.2 inches) but it hit more like 7 inches,I held a little over the top of the cap on the jug. I guess it's shooting flatter than the program say's. :D Ron

While bonded and copper coated bullets have their place in the hunting world, it is still hard to beat a pure lead bullet hitting with good energy in the right spot.

Old time roundball shooters have proved that for years with deer after deer they shot. It does sound like you have a great load there.

Thanks Dave,the only thing I'm not sure about is the bullet,getting a pass through. It seems like the velocity may turn it into a varmit bullet,I'm not sure,but it sure does fly great. Ron :D

Back