Saskatchewan "Magilla" Antelope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeerNut

Reaction score
Well, dad and I are back from a week long Muzzleloader hunt for Antelope and Antlerless mule deer, and Dad came through and scored big again....

I'd like to tell the story from a few weeks ago when I started developing a new load for my Savage. I wanted dad to use my smokeless gun (so I wouldn't have to clean his bp gun), so I started developing a new load around the 250 SST and IMR SR4759. I figured a 300gr MZ expander with 60grs of N120 was overkill (both for the antelope and Dad) so I went to the lighter kicking combo.

I went to the range with three vials of each 42, 43, 44 and 45 grains of the SR4759. My initial group with 42 grains was less than spectacular and was over three inches. 43 grains was only slightly better, but the group with 44 grains tightened up to just over 3/4"....WOW. The last group with 45 grains opened upto 2 1/2". So, 44 grains of SR4579 was the ticket. I also went with the short mmp sabots over the supplied sabot. I did this, since I found the supplied sabots were too tight and "zippered" down the barrel and I do believe this lead to eratic accuracy in some of my past loads.

scan.jpg

So, I set the POI to 3 inches high at 100 and we were off to the range where the deer and antelope play.

On day one, dad and I located a monster antelope (15"+) with a small herd of does. We managed to stalk 600yards and we were within 125 yards of him. We set up our decoy and when he noticed it he obliged us and began trotting in. At 75 yards he stopped broadside and my dad let fly.....unfortunately, he shot just under his chest and the big boy ran off unscathed. Dad was very dejected and really was hard on himself about the miss. I explained to him that this was one of the most exciting encounters a hunter can experience and misses happen...that's hunting. Besides I said, we get to keep hunting and the fun doesn't have to stop.

After a long day of seeing lots of small bucks and a long night of re-hashing his miss, we came across a buck that was very close to the same quality. He was bedded with a group of does along a hedge row.
So, dad and I started our stalk and managed to get within 175 yards. Unfortunatley, the light wind was not in our favor and was blowing right to them. Despite not seeing us, the Antleope got jittery and dashed another 100 yards. Since the wind wasn't a factor (right at our backs) we discussed the range and the hold over and opted to take the shot. The cross hairs were held 4" over his back and the trigger was squeezed. At the shot, the buck dashed 20 yards, slowed to a stop, wobbled a couple times and fell over. A year ago I would never have believed or endorsed such a shot, but after practicing with this gun and knowing its capabilities I wouldn't hesitate to shoot at these ranges with the right circumstances.

As for the 250 grain SST, it performed flawlessly. There was a .45 cal entrance and an inch sized exit that took out the top half of the heart. I went on to shoot a nice big Mule deer doe with this same combo with same awesome results. I'm a believer.
IMG_2890.jpg

Congrats on the antelope.... And that's a great photo, too. 8)

A+++++ Nut! 8)

What a wonderful story and great trophy! You should be proud of your Dad. He looks like a great guy. Congrats :D

DeerNut,
It doesn't get any better than that. Quality time with your father, and a beautiful trophy to boot. Please tell your dad congrats from me, I'm a little jealous, that is a magnificent antelope.

That's one HECK of a nice pronghorn there DeerNut! That makes mine look like a BABY! You're making me want to go back to Wyoming next year!

Tell your Dad GREAT Going from a guy from 'Bama!

Nice job!! If my math is right, that was a perfectly placed shot at 275 yds - TKS for converting from metric.

Thanks for sharing! Looks like you guys had a GREAT time!! That is a MAGILLA antelope if I ever saw one! BEAUTIFUL!!!

Way to go!!!

Great Antelope and great story! That had to be an absolutely satisfying hunt.

Congrats to you and your dad! Beautifull antelope there. Should score well.

Looks much better than mine as well.I would like to go back to Wyoming or the Dakotas again and get one as nice as this one.

Great job/great hunt! :D

Deernut, I envy you and your dad. It's been a long time since I hunted antelope and if I remember correctly, they're good eating and tender too.
Congrats.

Thanks guys!! I passed all the congratulations on to my dad...and he says thanks too.

I BBQ'd some of the backstraps, and I have to say, it is the best wild game I've ever had. I've heard some mixed reviews on how it would taste, but I was pleasnatly surprised.

I have to say, it is the best wild game I've ever had

I agree with you 100% ! I only have a small amount of Antelope left and I really like it! It has a mild yet pleasurable note to it. It is my #1 !

Congrats on a great lope, story & awesome photo.

Antelope and Elk are tied for the #1 spot according to my taste buds.

Excellent antelope.. and quite the shot. It just goes to show if you know your rifle and load, they can do some nice things together.

congratulations..

Latest posts

Back