Sabots......Help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archer36

Reaction score
I see posts about MMP sabots and Crush Rib sabots.
What are the advantages of each?

MMP and Harvester (makers of the Crush Ribs among other types) are the two big companies that produce sabots. I’ve used both companies products in various rifles with various bullets and like both. I wouldn’t say there’s any advantage to either - just different options.

Which type of sabot specifically are you looking for?

MMP and Harvester (makers of the Crush Ribs among other types) are the two big companies that produce sabots. I’ve used both companies products in various rifles with various bullets and like both. I wouldn’t say there’s any advantage to either - just different options.

Which type of sabot specifically are you looking for?
I am using Crush Ribs mainly because they are easier to load than the standard ones that came with my Hornady XTP's. Do you see any additional benefit in the MMP's?

I have used Harvester black crush ribbed and MMP smooth black sabot in a 50. Now, I use Harvester light blue smooth sabots in my Scout 45-70 conversion. Both worked in the 50. In the 45, I like how the HLBS smooth loads snug plus it shoots good. I'm sure the HLBS crush ribbed would probably work but I started with the smooth first.

Ok. That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Are they easier to load than the crush ribs?
I have not tried the crush ribbed have used the 4 petal black mmp and the 3 petal mmp ez I like the 3 petal better I get clover groups at 100yrds. all day shooting off bags at the bench and I even Shot deer at 150yrds also it works for my area of woods that I hunt I use this gun all the time for regular deer and muzzy seasons I have a remington 30 06 bolt that kills any thing within 300 yrds no problem. I haven't hunted with that gun since I bought the accura 8 years ago. I love my cva accura. It has the best trigger brake imo than most guns out there mine is at 2 1/2 lbs. Of pull .

I have used Harvester black crush ribbed and MMP smooth black sabot in a 50. Now, I use Harvester light blue smooth sabots in my Scout 45-70 conversion. Both worked in the 50. In the 45, I like how the HLBS smooth loads snug plus it shoots good. I'm sure the HLBS crush ribbed would probably work but I started with the smooth first.
I use the smooth LBs too. I did try the CRs but the smooth are a bit more accurate in mine. Using n110.

I should not be reading this stuff because it gets me thinking and I start trying different things. I cast and size 250g to .452 for my son and I. In the 50s a harvester works fine but I think I will try the EZ.
I buy the .452 250grn. honady xtp bullets 100ct. and the mmp ez black sobots 2 bags of them under 60 bucks cheaper buying in bulk.

Usually crush rib sabots would allow you to use example a .452 bullet vs a .451 . I have a couple rifles that the bore is still too small. I have to size my bullets smaller to use the .451 bullet
Hi guys

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here but I have a question that I am hoping you can answer. One of the guns I shoot is a TC Omega .50 with a 240gr XTP and Harvester crush green sabot. At 100m I'm getting sub moa with holes joined. The accuracy is amazing but loading is tough even on a spotlessly clean bore. Does anyone else out there shoot an Omega and what are you using.

Last weekend I was working on my (new to me) MK85 and tried the same 240gr XTP and green crush combo. To my surprise it practically fell down the bore offering minimal resistance. This got me questioning bore size so I am really grateful to DJ_BRUTUS for posting the chart above. That's useful information. Thank you !!

For anyone with a particularly tight bore you could try the MMP 3 petal easy.
I was just on the MMP sight and the red EZ in .50 no longer seems to be listed. There's a purple .54 EZ but no .50. This sucks as I would have liked to try them

Back