Remington 700 Ultimate ML - Muzzle Brake or Ported Barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regulator29

Reaction score
New to Muzzleloader guns, well rifles for that matter. Long time archery and waterfowl.
I purchased the Remington 700 Ultimate ML and put Leopold UltimateSlam Muzzleloader/Shotgun Scope 3x9 on it. Shooting 3x 777 mag pellets (180) Rem/Barnes 250 Premier Accutip. The recoil is pretty stout and concidering a muzzle brake, but after consulting gunsmith he advised porting barrel due to shooting sabot through muzzle brake might not be a good thing. Appreciate feedback from the forum.

Here are 100 yards and 200 yards. Shooting in cornfield at hunting lease, hope to shoot at a range with proper benches and rests.

IMG_1615_zpsvctogixb.jpg

IMG_1617_zpsbjafr7y9.jpg

Regulator29 said:
New to Muzzleloader guns, well rifles for that matter. Long time archery and waterfowl.
I purchased the Remington 700 Ultimate ML and put Leopold UltimateSlam Muzzleloader/Shotgun Scope 3x9 on it. Shooting 3x 777 mag pellets (180) Rem/Barnes 250 Premier Accutip. The recoil is pretty stout and concidering a muzzle brake, but after consulting gunsmith he advised porting barrel due to shooting sabot through muzzle brake might not be a good thing. Appreciate feedback from the forum.

Here are 100 yards and 200 yards. Shooting in cornfield at hunting lease, hope to shoot at a range with proper benches and rests.

Good shoot'n......... fun isn't it? You'll find out what she'll really do at long range when you get on the bench, with a great rest and later on, put a higher power variable on it.

Sabots shoot through properly sized muzzle brakes just fine. IMO, I would NOT port the barrel.

Take these photos to your gunsmith and tell him a properly sized brake WILL shoot sabots with zero problems :wink:

I will agree dont port barrel.
Have a properly designed muzzle break installed. Ck out Harrell muzzlebreak they offer a specific sabot break.
It is nice to be able to remove break

Keep in mind loading and cleaning with a break is alot different.
There a few builders who do break with a funnel designed to load thru break

Thanks for the feed back, was really questioning porting, do have ported barrels on my sporting clays over/under gun.
I'm using Butch's bore shine for ML, advised from buddy shooting Ultimate Express as well why I started with 3 pellets of 777 mag.

So how is cleaning different with muzzle break? Understand if using powder why special consideration would be need with loose powder, expect pellets would be no different with or without MB.

Good shoot'n......... fun isn't it? You'll find out what she'll really do at long range when you get on the bench, with a great rest and later on, put a higher power variable on it.

Sabots shoot through properly sized muzzle brakes just fine. IMO, I would NOT port the barrel.

Take these photos to your gunsmith and tell him a properly sized brake WILL shoot sabots with zero problems :wink:

Yea it has been a blast ... pun intended :yeah:

Friend has Ultimate Express with muzzle break too, laughed at me when I sent him picture of my bruise after 7 shot sight in, silly me was only wearing a T-shirt expecting it to be similar to shooting 3 1/2" waterfowl loads.

Surprised myself with how well I did at 100 yards, not sure if 200 yards there might of been some anticipation of the recoil.

If you're going to shoot as you are, there's nothing needs to be changed when the proper brake is installed. However if you plan on shooting loose propellant, then you'll need a funnel with a short piece of hose on it to load, so that the propellant goes into the barrel and doesn't spill out the brake holes. You can make one for $2. Little funnels are sold just about everywhere (Wal-Mart) and just a clear piece of hose that fits inside the barrel. That's if you ever plan on shooting loose propellant.

To clean the rifle, just remove the brake (get a radial and NOT a tactical). Get an old pill bottle or something similar and fill it with Butch's, then place the brake in the bottle while you clean the rifle. Once the rifle is entirely cleaned, meaning...... EVERYTHING... including the scope, mounts rings, screws, etc., lubricate the rifle, including the inside of the barrel. Pull the clean brake from the bottle and use a paper towel and wipe it dry. Once the brake is dry, I just spray mine with some RemOil I have specific for the brake ONLY. I use either Barricade or Montana Extreme Accuracy Oil on the rifle/parts. Grease the brake threads on the barrel, I just use T/C breech plug grease, then screw the brake back on the barrel. Wipe off any excess breech plug grease and you're done.

You'll learn rather quickly shooting heavy charges, that this will be your BEST FRIEND :wink:
https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Super-P ... 14758&sr=1

Regulator29 said:
Bought this on recommendation and the D30 pad has good reviews for managing recoil http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABE...gclid=COzRj5jnrdACFUZLDQodSNoD9g&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks for detailed cleaning instructions.

BH209 has peaked my interest, but simplicity/connivence in hunting situations makes 777 seem like the way to go.

Why not use Rem oil in the bore??? I have Barricade too, but used Rem oil.

When you shoot a lot, say 30 - 50 rounds, you'll be happier if you get that PAST recoil pad. It works excellent and you can shoot all day without a shore shoulder. I'd turn around and go home if I forgot mine.

I've used RemOil in the past with mass produced rifles. I only use it for the brake now, mostly because its easy and simple spraying. I actually prefer Montana Extreme Accuracy Oil for inside my barrel. Check it out...... http://www.montanaxtreme.com/products/? ... onditioner
Actually it depends on my mood, rather I use Barricade or Montana on other parts. Both have served me well to date.

Short of trying to be extreme in your accuracy by weighing charges, IMO you're just not going to gain much over switching from what you're shooting to BH. I've tried it, but that's another story. The weak part is always the sabot.

There are a couple very good target shooter members on this forum. Each one of them will tell you, keep shooting and build up your confidence. Your rifle will shoot with what it was designed to shoot and, most likely will shoot better than you can shoot it. Maybe a change of sabot/bullet combination would help, but, shooting that rifle and building your confidence in it will help the most.

ENCORE50A said:
Regulator29 said:
Bought this on recommendation and the D30 pad has good reviews for managing recoil http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABE...gclid=COzRj5jnrdACFUZLDQodSNoD9g&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks for detailed cleaning instructions.

BH209 has peaked my interest, but simplicity/connivence in hunting situations makes 777 seem like the way to go.

Why not use Rem oil in the bore??? I have Barricade too, but used Rem oil.

When you shoot a lot, say 30 - 50 rounds, you'll be happier if you get that PAST recoil pad. It works excellent and you can shoot all day without a sore shoulder. I'd turn around and go home if I forgot mine.

I've used RemOil in the past with mass produced rifles. I only use it for the brake now, mostly because its easy and simple spraying. I actually prefer Montana Extreme Accuracy Oil for inside my barrel. Check it out...... http://www.montanaxtreme.com/products/? ... onditioner
Actually it depends on my mood, rather I use Barricade or Montana on other parts. Both have served me well to date.

Short of trying to be extreme in your accuracy by weighing charges, IMO you're just not going to gain much over switching from what you're shooting to BH. I've tried it, but that's another story. The weak part is always the sabot.

There are a couple very good target shooter members on this forum. Each one of them will tell you, keep shooting and build up your confidence. Your rifle will shoot with what it was designed to shoot and, most likely will shoot better than you can shoot it. Maybe a change of sabot/bullet combination would help, but, shooting that rifle and building your confidence in it will help the most.

Roger that on the PAST recoil pad. Appreciate your insights, right now just getting started and have figured out this ML will only shoot as good as I can, which is exactly what I was hoping for. Got iSnipe for helping with extrapolating field conditions and point of aim.

Thanks agin for your feedback.

Looks like your already shooting great ! Just remember when you use something like a past recoil pad it will increase your length of pull . Most people it does not effect . It's no different than wearing a heavy coat . For myself it's a little bit of a problem because I'm a short guy and I have problems with my guns wanting to be to long anyway . I love brakes ! The reduced felt recoil is a lot ! Some say uo to 40% . But they are loud you don't want to shoot the gun without ear protection ! Not even once or your ears will be ringing for a day . If you decide to go with a Brake send Bestill a pm he can get you fix you up.

Dougs136Schwartz said:
Looks like your already shooting great ! Just remember when you use something like a past recoil pad it will increase your length of pull . Most people it does not effect . It's no different than wearing a heavy coat . For myself it's a little bit of a problem because I'm a short guy and I have problems with my guns wanting to be to long anyway ..

Mine's .480" thick w/o compression. You'll get used to .480" a lot quicker than 180grs/250/300 :wink:

Latest posts

Back