Reloading for 300Win. mag.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal45

Reaction score
I"m thinking of buying a 300Win. mag and need to know what the differences are loading them and standard cartridges. The ease or difficulty of reloading will dictate weather I buy it or not.

It is a belted cartridge and they come with problems all their own, I would opt for something ballisticaly similar without the belt.

I have a 300 Win. Mag and find them no harder to reload than any other case once you adjust the die.

:D Al

alleyyooper said:
I have a 300 Win. Mag and find them no harder to reload than any other case once you adjust the die.

I'll second what Al said! I have never had any more problem with loading the .300 Mag than I've had with a non belted case.

Nic_58 said:
alleyyooper said:

I'll second what Al said! I have never had any more problem with loading the .300 Mag than I've had with a non belted case.

I'll THIRD that! What a forgiving and REWARDING cartridge to reload for! I consider it at the head of the class! If you've been reloading some I would expect at least very good results with your first time reloading this round..

What rifle are you looking at? I REALLY like my Remington 700 Sendero SF! GREAT rifle/cartridge!

I agree that belted cartridges are not all that difficult to deal with, but from the tone of the question I assumed, maybe incorrectly, that the reloading experience of the actual questionaire was minimal. Having been called several times in the past years to help fellas set up dies for standard bottle neck cartridges, I figured this could be a problem for the neophyte. The 300 win mag is a pretty good cartridge and in the past I have found they shoot well with IMR 4350 and a 180 gr Sierra.
But if I was looking for a .30 cal mag nowadays I think I would get my moneys worth and opt for something like the 300 RUM if looking for max performance, or in a short action the 300 WSSM giving typical 300 win mag performance.

I've had good results using the Lee collet style neck sizing die for the belted mags.

I have been reloading for over 20 years but have no experience with belted mags.

Cal45 said:
I have been reloading for over 20 years but have no experience with belted mags.

Trust me brother, you won't have a problem loading for the .300 Winchester. In fact, of 1000yd benchrest shooters those that use .30cal most STILL use a .300 Norma, .300 Weatherby, .300 Ackley, or .300 Winchester ALL belted cartridges!(and all based on the .300 H&H!) The .300 Win was the first "short-magnum" designed from the start to function in standard-length actions. Brass is inexpensive and plentiful and reloading data is abundant! The .300 Winchester is the most stocked, most reloaded, most purchased .30 cal magnum rifle out there. The .300 Winchester is still as good as it ever was.

Most loading die MFG's put detailed instructions that even some one like :lol: :lol: me can follow in setting up the dies. The 300 Win. Mag. isn't any different. I love IMR 4350 with a weight range of bullets from 110 to 200 grains. Those 11o take a bit of testing to find the correct amount of powder but sure knock yotes in the mud at 300 plus yards.

:D Al

I shoot the 300WSM. As for the reloading part it is nt bad but I have noticed that the cartridge shoots its best at or near max loads. The problem with the WSM is some of the loads I am pretty sure the bullet is touching the powder.

The problem with the WSM is some of the loads I am pretty sure the bullet is touching the powder.

That is not a problem at all, thats a good thing!

Latest posts

Back