Reloading information evaporates

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
Is it just me or are reloading recipes being removed from new versions of reloading books?

Am I going crazy or are they actually removing certain powders not because they’re out of production either.

I may be a conspiracy theorist, but I think that a powder has too much cross compatibility with other cartridges and other grain weights they start removing it so you are forced to buy yet another type of smokeless powder.

Has anyone noticed this phenomenon? I’m starting to download and purchase previous versions of Lee and Hornady reloading books for this reason.

I have an app from Hornady and I don’t know if it’s on the fritz or what, but all information for the carcano has been removed.

I have accurate 2230 which I knew would reload my 556 and my 762 x 39. Now I can’t find any information on that powder for 762x39 anywhere.

I’m thinking of subscribing to one of those Internet powder recipe services. Maybe they have a better collection. Hauser mentioned it once.

I think that they might in some cases remove the reloading data for a cartridge if the propellants change or they aren’t making the bullets for it or cartridge cases etc. if the propellants change or even new lots are different that might cause them to remove it too. Plus sometimes it is commercial such as rights to publish etc too.

I was thinking that the bullets might have changed too much since the new super 6.5 cartridges came out. Thus they would have to work up new loads for the Carcano.

6.5 Carcano is shown here though in their obsolete files section:
https://www.hornady.com/assets/site/hornady/files/obsolete-data/6-5-x-52mm-carcano.pdf

Yes, as caliber popularity grows and wanes actual entire calibers can disappear. And as popularity/availability of things change, so does the printed load information. So if PowderX was discontinued last year, I wouldn't expect to see it listed in (some of) this year's or next year's manuals.

On the other hand, as a geek I would expect absolutely everything to be listed online (even via subscription), with lots of non-typical info (762x39 with a wide variety of .308 bullets instead of just two or three 123gr .310/.311 bullets, light bullet subsonic loads using pistol powders in rifle rounds, info on light recoil/reduced power loads, etc)

Good thing is if you can find a reference to a powder/caliber with goog/ddg but the page is changed or no longer available, you can look in the wayback machine at Wayback Machine and may find a copy there.

When you do find stuff, just go ahead and print it to a PDF file and keep your own archive.

I have a subscription to Load Data .com and it’s got all kinds of old load data available. Maybe look to see if there’s a free trial? I think it’s affiliated with Handloader magazine?
I load lots of obsolete rifle cartridges and it’s an easy place to find data.

Being a dinosaur I like and use the same powders I used from the '70s to present day. My powder list is fairly small even including pistol loads. As long as I can find Bullseye, 2400, unique and H110/296 for pistols & revolvers I'll be fine. For long guns I use 3031 the most in several different rifles. But 4350, 4895, and 4198 are also welcome.

Latest posts

Back