Reintroduced to muzzleloading!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfmanjack

Reaction score
About 20 years ago when I was in high school there was a sports store going out of business. My brother and I made the hour long trip to Baton Rouge because we heard they had discounted their remaining stock of guns. When we got there only one gun remained on the shelf, a Remington 700ml in stainless 50 cal. I had some money burning a hole in my pocket so I bought it for a couple hundred bucks. The guy at the store sold me some pyrodex rs, some 50 cal round balls, and a few accessories. All I ever killed with that gun was a beaver that happened to wonder a little too close to me. I learned real quick that this muzzleloader was a pain to clean and stuck it in the closet.
Fast forward to about a month ago, I got my mother to dig it out of storage at her house and I picked it up and head out to see what she can do for the Mississippi ml season. I had picked up some powebelt 295gr hollow points all those yrs ago and had 10-12 in my bag. Got about a 5inch group at 50 yds with open sights and that old pyrodex. It did go boom by the way.
Opening morning and I'm all loaded up creeping deep in a piece of public land in Mississippi. I stalked till about 11am and saw 4 does too far out of range. I decided to head back seeing as I had over a mile to walk out. I angled into the wind and crept up on a likely cane thicket and to my surprise 6 deer stand up all at once, 40yds away! I scan quickly and see one is an absolute giant, a legit 150" deer with 5 does. I shoulder the rifle and center the sight on his chest as he is facing me. The does haul butt and I can see he is nervous and about to bolt. I squeeze the trigger and boom, big puff of smoke. I can't see where the deer went.
I am so excited that I don't reload. I can see the other deer running off through the woods. I decide just to creep up to the spot the deer was to see if there is any blood. To my surprise the giant deer is laying on the ground with all 4 legs up in the air like a dead Roach! His body is quivering like he is having a seizure. I am only feet from the beast when I see his eye roll over and look at me! Oh sh#%, he stands there two feet from me, I think he is going to gore me. He slowly walks off as I frantically try to reload. He gets about 50yds away and disappears into a bi creek bottom. I give him two hours before I persue. I never did find that deer I'm sorry to say.
I get on this site and read about pb bullet failure and think this had a role to play in me losing that deer. I hunted the next day and shot a big doe at 60 yds same load and she didn't make it30 yds.
I decide to get a scope and see what king of accuracy I can get with sabots and .430 240gr xtp. So here is my 4 shot 100yd group: 120gr pyrodex rs, #11 percussion cap, green harvester crush rib sabot. Ok the picture is too big, I will try and post it when I figure out how to shrink the file. You experts think I'll be ok with the xtp's on Mississippi whitetail and hogs? Oh yea the group measures 1.75" outside with a 15mph gusty quartering wind.

I use the 250 grain xtp with black crush rib sabots in my tc omega, the xtp is a very good bullet for all sorts of game, they do the job! Nice group too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your groups look good and that bullet XTP will work don't us the BP bullets. but next time reload before you start to go look for your deer.

This is a recovered 290 gr Barnes T-EZ bullet fired into a buck at 40/45 yards using 2 pellets of T7. The buck went about 30 yards and piled up. We have had excellent results using these BP ML bullets.

IMG_3273.jpg

The 430 XTP is the best caliber of the bunch for deer hunting 150 yards or less. Plain and simple, I found it more accurate than the 45-cal of the same weight.

All things considered, the TEZ is king of the hill blossomer right now. Very accurate too. But they cost (on average) about 125% more than the XTP, when purchased in bulk.

Do not use the lead Powerbelts and don't use under 295-300 grains. The only ones I trust are the CopperHPs and Platinums, when purchased on December closeout at Walmart. The only lead bullets I use nowadays are Precision bullets (prbullet.com). The QT Polymer Tips and the Dead Centers. They are not blossomers so-to-speak. They're pancakers :mrgreen:

Between the hornady xtp and the Barnes tez or even tmz I'd have to say they are both very well known for taking down game, and I have had good luck with both.

If your ranges are short, the TMZ and TEZ are a waste of money. The additional BC over a Barnes XPB bullet is meaningless and they cost more. The 250gr XPB (for all intents) is the same bullet as the 250gr Expander MZ.

Besides the tip there is very little difference between a TEZ and a Expander MZ or XPB. Save some money and by loose 250gr XPBs. You can usually find them for under $1/bullet. ATM Cabelas has them for $17/20 Grafs sells them for a tiny bit less at around $16.50/20

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Barnes-X ... 731879.uts

I'm happy with my accuracy seeing as I was shooting off an ice chest in the back of my truck in a 15 mph wind. I have a bunch of the 240gr xtp bullets so I will give these a shot. How fast do you think this bullet is going with 120 gr pyrodex rs? Am I pushing them too fast? What kind of terminal performance can I expect on broadside white tails?

You approached a down deer with an empty gun and it's Powerbelts fault? Since you didn't recover the deer you don't know where you hit it or the bullet performance. You said you were shooting a 5" group at 50 yards. That leaves some of room for aiming error and add in the excitement of a big buck and who knows? Maybe the bullet was at fault, maybe not, but this was operator error.

Either way if he can get away from the powerbelts he will be better off in both a cost and performance perspective

I could see the entrance wound right there in the chest when I approached the deer. I take blame for loosing the deer because I didn't reload. I have taken this shot with my 270 several times before and always recovered the animal within short order. I was of the opinion that 295 grains of lead at 40yds should have resulted in a short lifespan for any creature shot square in the chest. I have moved on from the power belts and have settled on the xtp. I am sighted in with the 240 grainers. Is 120 gr of pyrodex rs pushing this bullet too fast? Hornady lists max velocity at 2200fps. I don't think I'm close to that with the 120gt load?

Back