bullet/load selection .45 caliber

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doegirl

Reaction score
Hi there :) I just got my first muzzleloader a month ago. It's a CVA Kodiak in .45 caliber. Couple of questions. What's your guy's honest opinion on 195grain powerbelt with 90gr of loose pyrodex on whitetails-No more than 100 yds. (farthest I can practice). The bullet/load combo groups extremely well in my gun so far. If you suggest a bullet, keep in mind that I can't use anything over 300grains (per CVA).

What's your guy's honest opinion on 195grain powerbelt with 90gr of loose pyrodex on whitetails-No more than 100 yds.

Hey doegirl and WELCOME to the forum! :D

That bullet I'm sure has killed a lot of deer but it would be one of the last on my list. If I wanted to use a Powderbelt I much rather use a 225gr or even better, a 275gr. You'll get much better penetration on closer shots. Also..Be sure to try the 200gr XTP and 200gr Dead Centers in your .45. Both have a good reputation accuracy and on game performance... My girlfriend flattened a big doe with the 200gr XTP so I KNOW it works! 8)

I have shot the powerbelt 195 gr. with 130 gr. of pellets. But it would be best to shot the areo tip . Now I am trying the 200 gr. SST with 100 gr. of pellets , this one gives better penitertion , and shots flater out to 100 years .
Charlie

Doegirl,

That 195 shot great in my .45 too. I would caution you that at those distances below 100 yds to absolutely only take the double lung shot. The 195's are pretty fragile in my experience. My 195 was on top of 150gr of pyro pellets tho.

Big6x6 has given you some good alternatives.

Enjoy-

Doohan

Try a different bullet. I and my wife have shot 195's out of our .45's and they are very fragile. From my experience powerbelts just don't hold together.

I agree, if you do hunt with them. Double lung shots only.

I have switched my wife to a 200 grain hornady xtp. These are supposed to be far superior, she has yet to hunt with them. But I am anticipating much better results.

Thank you guys for all the responses :) . Question: Since I do have a self-imposed limit of 100yd (until I can find a different range). What about the lead conicals like the maxiball or the Great Plains bullet? Since the powerbelt is, in essence, a conical, I would think that other conicals would also do well.

It's important with lead conicals that they properly fit the bore. The tapered conicals such as the REAL or Maxi-balls/hunters or the Lyman Great Plains might work well for you. To use straight-sided conicals, you would need to determine your land-to-land measurement (and it wouldn't hurt to check your groove dimensions while you are at it) and order pure lead conicals which would be at or very slightly over your land-to-land measurements. I often use a LEE REAL along with a micrometer to determine bore measurements. Just seat one in, then back out (with the breechplug removed) then carefully measure both the largest and smallest dimensions on the upper bullet band. The larger dimension will be groove- to-groove, smaller will be land-to-land. You might want to do this two or three times to make sure you are getting consistent readings.

Conicals are less forgiving of sloppy barrel tolerances than plastic and deep groove rifling will not generally do well with lead. Certainly if your rifle will shoot them well, they make excellent hunting bullets while saving you some money with every shot.

Well, I was at Gander Mountain today. Very little muzzleloading supplies available, even less in .45. I was using PB's in the hollowpoint configuration. I picked up some 195grain aerotips and will see how they do. They did have some T/C maxihunters in .45 caliber I could possibly get and play with.

In .45 cal, I like the Hornady 200 gr SST. Accurate in my gun, and puts deer down well. Not super expensive, either. Try around 100 gr of 777 2f or 110gr of American Pioneer 2f.
I'm not a fan of Pyrodex because it fouls as much as real blackpowder, and it's extremely corrosive. But, it works well for a lot of folks.

Alot of good advise here, doegirl. I would recommend almost any bullet over the 195 gr. powerbelts for deer. In muzzleloading bigger is better and faster is not...... 8)

Doegirl.

Like Big6x6 said ... the 275 pb will work great. The 195 Aerotip is just a 195 HP with a plastic point in it. Take one and pull out the tip, you will have a standard 195 hp.

200 XTP's will be hard to beat in the $$$$ department! I would give those a shot!

Latest posts

Back