BULLETS N LOADS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geofarr

Reaction score
i'm new to muzzleloader hunting. just got a traditions buckstalker rifle in 50 caliber. i got ton of powerbelt bullets in 250 n 325 grain.however i watched a presentation on bullets and the man said powerbelts lack accuracy and are best left on shelf. so tell me pls a bullet n load you all would use for whitetail deer shooting 70 yds max and usualLy 50 YDS or less WITH
bullet maker and brand,weight,powder and grains of powder.tyvm. please dont use initials as i have no clue what BH209 IS. I live on a fixed income and dont have the luxury of experimenting with several different bullets n powders. theres gotta be a popuar one for deer at med range with a very good powder that would fit the bill for many including me. i personally feel saboted bullets are just bore dirtiers. i'd rather use a sabotless bullet. tyvm

Last edited:
I had a traditions Buckstalker rifle a few years back.
Thompson Center maxi hunter bullets, 275 grains with 90 grains of 2f Goex black powder.
I sighted in in for 50 yards. All the bullets hit the same spot every time. My longest shot on a deer was about 70 yards.
Pyrodex RS will work good in your rig.

If you've already got the PowerBelts then you should try them out. At those ranges a load around 70-80 grains by Volume of Triple 7 or BlackHorn 209 or even Pyrodex RS would be a great place to start, imho(in my humble opinion). Some folks hate powerbelts and some folks love them. The 250s are good bullets. Those 325s would be my choice for <70 yards and 70 grains. Bet they surprise you. Shoot em if ya got em.

You don't say if you have primers?
If not, you'll need # 209 shotgun primers used for reloading.
Winchester, Federal, CCI, are the most popular name brands.

Thompson Center maxi hunter bullets, 275 grains with 90 grains of 2f Goex black powder.
I sighted in in for 50 yards. All the bullets hit the same spot every time. My longest shot on a deer was about 70 yards.
ty for the info. presently i cant find any goex powder but ive been yold late feb/march it should be available

If you've already got the PowerBelts then you should try them out. At those ranges a load around 70-80 grains by Volume of Triple 7 or BlackHorn 209 or even Pyrodex RS would be a great place to start, imho(in my humble opinion). Some folks hate powerbelts and some folks love them. The 250s are good bullets. Those 325s would be my choice for <70 yards and 70 grains. Bet they surprise you. Shoot em if ya got em.
ty. i intend to. first at the target range and as a brush load. lots of heavy brush where i hunt and i have lots of 325 powerbelts. right now powders are scarce as an edsel. hopefully soon they'll be readily available. i see what you mean. if you wanna find pb haters you can. just as easily as hunters who swear by pb bullets. think i'll just try myself and leave the opinions to my assessments. tyvm for reply

You don't say if you have primers?
If not, you'll need # 209 shotgun primers used for reloading.
Winchester, Federal, CCI, are the most popular name brands.
yes i have cci 209 primers and federal 209. 100 each

ty for the info. presently i cant find any goex powder but ive been yold late feb/march it should be available
soon as i can get some Goex 2f loose powder i wanna try that with the tompson center maxi bullet
i plan to practice this summer and cull the local woodchuck poulation and maybe a few coyotes

Triple 7 or Pyrodex RS will work in your gun if real black powder is not available.
ty. i did get some t7 50/50 pellets and also pyro 50 pellets
just waiting for the weather to go north of 40 degrees to hit the outdoor target range

ty. me personally would like a bullet in the 245 min to 275 max weight.using 60-70 grains of charge

ty. me personally would like a bullet in the 245 min to 275 max weight.using 60-70 grains of charge
Those powerbelts you mentioned might just work out for you. Alot of shooters tend to overpower them. I've read about slowing them down with less powder and they have better results on game.

Latest posts

Back