hawken rifle kits

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sagebrush

Reaction score
ok any one here put a kit carson hawken rifle kit together? been looking at getting one. want to put one together. I am finding that there is not many places to aquire one, so far TOTW, and donstith's both have the kits.

also TOTW does not have any barrels for the Kit carson, but rice barrel co. has one that will fit their kit.

I like TOTW stuff very much. A friend did a TOTW Vincent rifle kit for me a few years ago and it came out very well. Track also installed the breech plug and under rib which helped a lot and saved time.

IMO Rice barrels are very nice, but expensive, unless you want to build a real match rifle. The Kit Carson rifle is a 1" Green Mountain, right? If you hunt around I bet you can find one. Have you tried Dixon's Muzzleloading Shop?

My same friend just finished a fullstock percussion Hawken for me this summer and we got a lot of the parts from Track, but not the barrel or stock. The barrel is a tapered Getz .54 1:56 and I do not know where the stock came from or who did the rough shaping and put in the barrel channel.

Have you looked around that hard core "traditional muzzleloading forum" site?

paia, iam a member on traditional muzzle loading site. they recommended Don Stith rifle co.

TOTW does not have barrels (out of stock) for the Kit Carson rifle it has to be a 1" straight octagon.
and getting one now from GM. you never know when or if that will happen

I have been looking and came across one maybe from "pecatonica river" I will have to get a hold of them and ask. it shows that they sell them at least. but with them installing breech and under rib and cutting dove-tails for sights it still comes to $240.00 for the barrel.
I guess not to bad seeing how I paid $189.00 for the GM barrel for the trades rifle that I have.

I have been getting mixed feelings from some people about if I can handle putting one of the Kit Carson rifles together, supposedly is one of the hardest to do.

I told Don Stith's rifle co. that i have good carpentry skills and no about using hand tools and such. that I am not some dumbbell. he said well for someones first time I do not recommend this rifle.

anyway he jacks up the price a $100.00 from what the web site says.
it does not matter that much who I get one from. they are all about the same price anyways. give or take a few dollars.

i do have to give TOTW credit for good service the salesman said if I find a barrel send it to them and they will do the gun smithing for me. it seems the prices for that are the same also from other places.

You're right--after replying to your post yesterday I looked around and apparently GM barrels are hard to get. I am a Getz fan because he is here in PA and the friend that has built three rifles for me prefers Getz barrels and that is good enough for me.

I did contact Stith about a Hawken kit a year or two ago when I was looking into having a FS percussion made and did not care for him, but that is just me. I'm sure others love him.

I am the opposite of you--I have a good bit of metal and machining work experience, but am not good with wood. I have done little metal work favors for my friend, but have never built a rifle, so take whatever I say with a giant grain of salt! If you can come up with a 1" barrel somewhere, I would not hesitate to get the rest of your stuff from Track.

Have fun.

Back