REAL best lube

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rost495

Reaction score
Bullets in hand. Have not weighed yet. 54 cal one lighter/shorter than the other can of them. No lube at all.

SO, I'm at the point of bore butter or buy something better.

I'd like to know the best lube to start with. I have the bore butter but why start wrong....

Thanks, Jeff

Your asking the question before you buy and do something. :applause:
As a bullet lube, bore butter should work just fine. You will have other suggestions, so just sit tight for a little while. :)

If you want to go with something you already have and don't mind a bit of mess, take a couple of rags and some Crisco for lube.

Crisco works great as a conical lube, it's just messy when it's warm.

And the Bore Butter should work fine as well, just don't use it for a preservative.

I have bore butter around, and can buy more as needed, but if something is better, I'll buy that.

As to cheap crisco, actually don't have any unless we can use liquid olive oil..... And its so d@mn hot here in the summer I don't want a mess thats for sure.

I"m really contemplating of sending the barrel to fit 4 duty to coat the barrel inside to protect it before I go any further first. Then I won't have to worry about the internal corrosion as much.

Thanks, Jeff

Latest posts

Back