Project 30-06

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doohan

Reaction score
I have an old Savage Package gun lying around that I just have not been able to get shooting lately. To be honest I have not put THAT much effort into it but lately my interests have been re-newed.

During the TX trip, I had a conversation about he gun with Chuck and he convinced me something was wrong... This gun should shoot! Sooo.. I pulled up Midway USA and ordered some "stuff" :roll:

Since the gun was a package gun, it came with bases and a bore sighted Simmons... I decided to go with some better quality steel bases and drop on an old Sightron SII with Warne QD's. Upon removing the scope it became obvious that the rear base was loose! :oops: Good news really! :wink:

Since this was a pre-at gun.. I dropped a riflebasix trigger in it years ago, but never really spent much time tuning it. So I dug up the old paperwork and set it at just under 2#... alot LIGHT for hunting but should be perfect for my first range visit.

I also ditched the tupperware stock and added a factory pillar bedded laminated beauty.

I also picked up some nosler brass, redding dies and a selection of SST/Interbonds in 150/165 I HOPE to hit the range soon..

Old:
11fxp3.jpg

New and Improved:
11-30-07005.jpg

That's a good looking gun now. Kinda reminds me of Rifleman's 10ML-II with the laminated stock and blued action. I bet it will be a shooter now! Keep us posted with the range results.

GREAT looking gun! I bet it is gonna shoot too! Did you get any powder yet?

FWIW i have the savage 110 30.06 and it LOVES the 180gr SST hornady. Box stock with a trigger job it will do 1/2". I think you will love it.

I did get out for a short a bit on Saturday afternoon... I was pretty cold and I was ill prepared! :(

Anyhow, I tried some hand loads with RE15 they showed some promise but I will have to give it a bit more time later..

This was the best group I shot after I got the gun on paper.. It was with 165gr NBT's - Remington ammo -- Certainly a good starting point.
IMG_0168.jpg

Doohan,

For what ever reason the Hornady SST bullets have been shooting better groups than the Hornady inter-bonds. Why I do not know.

Is your replacement stock a factory Savage??

Greg

I am pretty sure the Hornady SST bullets are not bonded. The "poly tip" makes them open up pretty darn quickly, almost to fast.

It almost better for the close shots to slow the SST bullets down in velocity. I have returned to the standard inter-lock spire point.

Chocdog

At close range (50y and under) the SST fragment. I shot a doe during gun season at 25 yards quartering at me, the bullet went thru the sholder, shattered 4 ribs, blew apart her liver and all i found was the jacket. The jacket looked like it should, mushroomed, but there was no lead. I just chalked it up to close range, but i also found the same looking jacket behind my target at 100 but not sure which load it was from. I love the way they shoot, but am still questioning their ability to stay together.

Try the 150 gr Nosler accubond. Pretty accurate in my rifles, puts deer down extremely well. I use IMR-4350 at Nosler's max recommended charge.

Guys,

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that all the new 150 SST's are bonded... I just got a fresh box of 150's and they say SST - Interbond or maybe Interlock. They are SST's as they have the cannelure... I have these in 150/165/180 and only the 150's say this..

I also have several boxes of Hornady Light Mag ammo in .308 with Supposed 150 SST's.. They too say the same thing.. They have proven to be some darn tough bullets @ the stated 3000 FPS. I took game at very close ranges and the bullets held together.

I took a small pig with a quartering shot at close range, broka nearly all the ribs on the entry side and the bullet was recovered in the far ham... Here is the pic of the bullet.

IMG_0082.jpg

Later in the week, I took these 2 hogs with 1 shot from my .308. I really had no idea another hog was behind my intended target but as they ran across the trail, I let it fly... when we came up on the scene I was amazed to see 2 dead pigs.. .both were DRT and the 150 SST did an amazing job... Exited both..

IMG_0119.jpg

That said, I see the 150 SST as a pretty darn tough bullet. Maybe we are talking about 2 different bullets but I know the interbon has no cannalure and everything I have does... So I am a bit confused... Either Hornady has made a change or ??? :huh?:

doohan, what kind of sniper rifle did you get that 2fer with? look at that thang ... im envious. :x :twisted: :D . and what's all this about ohio state being in the national championship???? surely there was a mistake??? :wink:

Hornady SST bullets have a mechanical lock on the core (Interlock) but are not bonded. Interbond bullets are bonded, and have no need for the Interlock.

richdeerht said:
Hornady SST bullets have a mechanical lock on the core (Interlock) but are not bonded. Interbond bullets are bonded, and have no need for the Interlock.

Exactly right!

If you took Doohans pic of the spent bullet and pulled the lead, that is exactly what i ended up with. Lots of expansion, but no lead. But again this was very close range. The MV would have still been at about 2700 or so with a 180 SST interlock. Again this could had been close range, but the bullet did do its job, lots of damage and nearly made a length wise passthru. It would be intersting to know if the SST\ML have the same construction as the centerfire SST. Seems like i heard of the SST\ML having some issues staying together.

several years back i killed a 200 lb deer w/ a quartering-on shot from a .270 w/ a 130 g. nosler ballistic tip, which is basically the same idea as that hornady SST. deer was shot at about 120 yds. No exit, bullet hit major bone somewhere in its journey. found some of the jacket and just a leetle bit of lead left in the jacket, the rest of it was who knows where. deer made it about 15 yds after the shot 8) i have switched over to hornady spirepoints for my rifles because they seem to work as good as anything else.

in fact, thats all ive got on my reloading bench right now:

spirepoints.jpg

(can ya tell i have been tinkering w/ the 7x57?)

n8daug6,

I'm with you on the Hornady standard spire points. My new 260 rem shoots the 129 gr spire point better than the 129 gr. SST. I am glad for that.

chocdog

Back