Process of learning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caniborrowsomeammo

Reaction score
My daughter's Wolf arrived last Monday finally. We went punching paper on Wednesday. Light loads of White Hots and PRB/.010 lubed patch for her to get used to the rifle.
Chilly 38 degrees. We shot at 25 yards, I was hoping to instill some confidence in her as she has never shot MZ before. Heck, I'm a newbie too, but everything falls into place you know.
The problem is the Wolf is all over the place, I know that she can shoot, though I think her cheek weld on that stock is bad and it needs some elevation. But 8" grouping overall is a little much. We tried cleaning after each shot and not cleaning for a few shots, didn't seem to make much difference.
My Optima will hold 2" with PRB easily at 50 with light loads.
When the Wolf arrived I gave it a good bore clean, then the “Breaking In a Barrel” by Lee Shaver (thanks Lew) as I did with the Optima earlier. From OMG how rough to butter smooth in 25 passes, then some JB Paste to finish it.
I got to reading the forum here and see some mention of patch thickness and shot consistency/accuracy. Next time out we will try some .018 ticking with a 1:7 Ballistol/water lube as it seemed the PRB wasn't too hard to get down the bore.
We will also shoot some sabot loads to see what will work in it.
Rain off and on for the next week or so and I don't enjoy getting wet.

I’ll preface this with saying I’ve never shot PRBs, but everything I’ve read/heard/learned about them is (under most normal circumstances) they won’t shoot well out of a fast twist (your wolf should be 1:28”). You could possibly try a very light charge (don’t know exactly where you are now with the light charge you’re shooting) to possibly get them to group better, but if you’re already set to try some sabot loads out of the wolf, I’d guess you’ll have much better results. Black crush rib sabots seem to be the go to sabot out of many CVA’s, shooting a 240-300gr handgun bullet (.452 Hornady XTP/Speer Deep Curl among the most popular and relatively economical). At least that can get her going and y’all can fine tune from there. Good luck and have fun!

Like others said the wolf is 1-28” twist, much faster than a standard 1-66” round ball twist barrel. Odds are your tearing patches with the faster twist rifling. I’ve seen latched round ball shoot from 1/28” twist with very light loads..25-50 grains usually. And sully with a thicker patch like .18 ticking material. If it was me I’d prolly save the latched round balls for a different rifle that is designed to shoot them and I would pick up some Thompson center cheap shots. Yes that is the name of them and they usually shoot well and even perform in game decently..for hunting they will work..of if you want too order your some .451 hornady xtp bullets. 250 grains will work. And will be a lighter recoil. Then I’d order up some harvester sabots and hit the range again.

We were shooting 50 grain White Hots in the Wolf, the load shoots well in the Optima, not the Wolf.
I picked up some Harvester green sabots.50/.430- and a box of Hornady Jacketed .430 XTP, no cheap lead to be found. We'll try those.
I also have some Barnes and Hornady Copper saboted bullets to try that shoot quite well in the Optima. A few Powerbelts to burn up also.
Like I said rain is here supposedly for the rest of the week I believe. When it stops we'll get back to it.
Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like she would appreciate a good cheek piece. That might improve her comfort when shooting. But, as was said above, a sabot-bullet combo should shoot best in that rifle.

Latest posts

Back